Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most Important Invention/Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the twins, Religion and Politics, are inventions, they would be the oldest ones known in human history.
Actually, they are about one art; hence they, among all other known arts, are the most evolved ones.

They are about how to let the masses (men on bottom in every region) feel great and/or have a continuous hope by cleverly deceiving them in the name of some concepts and notions. Therefore not everyone can be a religious or political (if not both) artist ;)

If the twins, Religion and Politics, are inventions, they would be the oldest ones known in human history.
Actually, they are about one art; hence they, among all other known arts, are the most evolved ones.

They are about how to let the masses (men on bottom in every region) feel great and/or have a continuous hope by cleverly deceiving them in the name of some concepts and notions. Therefore not everyone can be a religious or political (if not both) artist ;)

So, how is life in Aleppo City? Media reports here are that there is no food, water or communication systems. Children are starving and citizens have to avoid snipers as they run to aid stations to get supplies. Are you currently in Aleppo?

In brief, Aleppo (where I am writing now) is a big industrial city. There are food, water and communications systems (I am using a USB 3G wireless modem), also electricity from local private AC generators (beside batteries that every family also have with inverter/charger sets). But because of war, the prices had to go up 10 fold if not 20 on hard days.
It is divided into two main parts. The part in which the multi-cultural Syrian society live is protected by the National Syrian forces. The Islamist part is controlled by multi-national mercenaries of Al-Qaeda (or whatever their Islamist name is). My actual small apartment (on the roof) is near the hot-line border which didn't change since it was created in March 2012. Yes, between March 2011 and March 2012, the millions (about 4) in Aleppo were thinking that the Arab Spring that was launched against the people in Tunisia then against Egyptians followed by those of Libya will not hit their city. They didn't know that their city was one of the main targets of the 9/11 Terror Show that was opened by Obama (by playing the World's Supreme Judge) also against Syria in March 2011. After all, Aleppo is the industrial capital of Syria; in other words if Aleppo became fully under the control of Al-Qaeda (that Bush and Bin-Laden have introduced to the world with a great success on 9/11/2001) Syria would cease to exist.
I don't hear of children starving, at least on the side I live (we still feed our cats and dogs ;) ). This might happen in the other part of the city which is destroyed almost completely and as I said is controlled by non-Syrian military Islamist leaders.
But I witnessed the cases of many civilians who were the targets of professional paid snipers (among the moderate rebels, as called in America ;) ).

Last week, my neighbourhood was hit more than normal (and randomly as always) by about 10 heavy missiles daily (the nearest ones were about 40m from my room). But in the last 2 days, it became rather calm and I wonder why and for how long!

Finally, I ask myself: Will the "International Society" succeed, at the end, in making Syria a fanatic radical Islamist base (as Saudi Arabia; the very close ally of the American Evangelists on power) as it made most part of Palestine a fanatic radical Jewish base? Time will tell ;)

Hello,

I'd have to say the most important invention of all time was tools. Tools extended mankinds ability to do all sorts of things that would never be possible without some sort of tool even if very primitive. That's unless you consider sex (making babies) a discovery or invention.
After that i'd say fire, then language.

Some of the more recent inventions that affect me are the computer and the microwave oven, and of course the automobile.
Electricity is basic to all those too so we need that. We're lost without electric.

The most significant modern invention is probably the quantum computer. If we can get to the point where we can use that like we use the computers we have today we will see very significant improvements in medicine and probably weather prediction just for a couple examples. We may even see an answer to the question of what the outcome of every possible chess opening is: win, loose, or draw, although it will still require memory to remember them all in a chess tournament.
We will see answers to many of the great questions of our time and for times to come. It could change civilization in ways we cant even imagine today.

Indeed, as MrAI said, the discovery of a tool will help in the discovery of one or more important tools; much like a positive feedback loop.

Indeed, as MrAI said, the discovery of a tool will help in the discovery of one or more important tools; much like a positive feedback loop.

Hi,

Sorry i must have missed your previous post as i did not read every post before i posted myself because there were too many.
I am always hoping situations like yours will get better in the future. Unfortunately i dont have any instant solutions. Governments in all countries have so many problems of so many kinds that we are lucky it's not even worse. The economy is so bad the world over that it affects decisions, very critical ones that determine where the line between life and death is. When people get pushed economically, suddenly secondary things that they got by with in the past are now harder to deal with and they begin to feel the need to act out against anything that has even the most remote chance of success, while blaming said action on what they believed all along yet didnt need to do anything about it up to that point. The last straw in the camel's back, as they sometimes say. The saddest part is that so many innocent people get hurt.

The best invention has yet to come. It is the reality that we are all part of a shared planet with mental illness, racial/religious bigots or those who carry grudges and ignorance bending the will of others for their own selfish benefits whereas the major would rather live in peace and not be greedy but feel content help others willingly and be grateful.

That being said, the most important invention is still the global intelligence available in lbraries and web, so we don't have to choose to be ignorant or be that way by default and learn to respect others and make better choices.

Surely "being human" stems from the development of culture, i.e. the exchange of ideas/art, so that is my vote.
When hominids first evolved, apes were already:
- living in groups
- using a rudimentary language
- existing within a hierarchy (an hierarchy if you prefer)
- using tools (e.g. sticks to get to termites)
- "walking" on two legs (at least some of the time).

If you need any evidence, you are reading the latest version of the exchange of ideas!

Sir Humphrey Davy made the greatest discovery of all time...........Michael Faraday

My seaweed soap is a close second though :D

I wouldn't wash seaweed with soap, it'd taste all wrong!

There is a certain seaweed you can make soap with, it has.........unusual properties.

Also soap made from the soap plant, is used to clean the worlds greatest works of art. It is safer than saliva as it dosnt contain the enzymes that saliva does. Some pigments from the 17th century react to enzymes.

Soap is another hobby.. Alot of chemistry in soap, interesting **** when you get into it.

I didn't know Michael Faraday was discovered by Sir Humphrey Davy! Anyway, wouldn't Michael have done his great work regardless? I would have thought the Davy lamp would have been Davy's most important invention:woot:

LG do you sell your seaweed soap? Whereabouts in Scotland are you (fur you fae)? And can you be more specific re: "unusual properties"?

According to Wikipedia George Stephenson also invented a similar lamp, and so did William Reid Clanny, both before Davy.
The Clanny lamp pumped air through two troughs of water, and Stephenson's lamp used perforated metal for the air to enter, whereas Davy's lamp used metal gauze. Stephenson was accused of stealing the idea but was found to have thought of it independently, though Davy never believed this.
Fascinating.

I didn't know Michael Faraday was discovered by Sir Humphrey Davy! Anyway, wouldn't Michael have done his great work regardless? I would have thought the Davy lamp would have been Davy's most important invention:woot:
Faraday was a common man, so didnt have any standing at the royal society. No one would listen to him or let him speak at the royal. So he went and became Sir Humphreys lacky, in return he was allowed to mess in his spare time. One day he discovered something (cant remember what now), Davy presented it on Faraday behalf, I think he expected it to be dismissed. But instead he was asked questions he couldnt answer, so Faraday was given permission to go and speak at the royal society (I forgotten the date), the rest is History.............

Davy was a bit of meah, but he had money (loads). So alot of what he presented at the Royal was not his work, but because of his ' standing' and being Gentry he had clout. Back then your status dictated how serious you were taken at the royal. Even today a lay person isnt allowed to present without a Decreed invitation.

LG do you sell your seaweed soap? Whereabouts in Scotland are you (fur you fae)? And can you be more specific re: "unusual properties"?
Near Glenluce in D&G, but I am English. My soap I do sell now and then, the propertie is to completey remove the smell of fish or garlic ect from skin, it does it without using a masking scent. And that is all I am saying on it :D. Apart from its one of the most gentle, yet most powerful cleaning agents I have come across, even better than TSP! I can make it liquid, but there is a few wrinkles with doing that.

I will work on it some more one day. All my soaps are hand made cold process with 100% self extracted natural ingredients. I even make my own oil of wintergreen from raw bark.

Sounds like bragging......sorry it wasnt meant too

Never been to that part of Scotland but the rest is beautiful so will have to get there one day.
Sounds like you have a marketable product - it doesn't matter that it's solid, plenty of that for sale, and yours has something new to offer.
It's not bragging if it's true - keep up with the innovation.

Regards Faraday, didn't he first describe the relationship between current and magnetism (i.e. electromagnetism)?

Never been to that part of Scotland but the rest is beautiful so will have to get there one day.
Sounds like you have a marketable product - it doesn't matter that it's solid, plenty of that for sale, and yours has something new to offer.
It's not bragging if it's true - keep up with the innovation.

Regards Faraday, didn't he first describe the relationship between current and magnetism (i.e. electromagnetism)?
From memory..... Yes and I am pretty sure it was his pre cursor to this that Davy presented to the society. A couple of years ago when I was 14 I had to write an essay for science, I chose Faraday which is why I know a little of the History. But without going and digging out my essay I am working from memory. So I would need to read my notes again to make sure, but the history of science of that period is fascinating. Faraday worked on alot on things that never made it. Some of his really early work while under Davy was stopped, I dont remember much of the detail now, but I do know it later surfaced decades and decades later under other people.

Had he been born into gentry, then who knows what else he would of achieved! A very very clever man with alot of talent. TBH I am really Meah about Humphrey, reading alot of background stuff on him, I got the impression he wasnt the nicest person around. Just to kick the sacred cow, in my arrogant young opinion I think the guy was totally over rated. But then again at 16.6 i am it is my right to be that arrogant about one the giants of science :p.

Scotland was fantastic, then they stuck huge wind turbines on as much grass as they could find! In the 4 years we have been here, the landscape looks alot different. We live on the A75 1/4 mile up our driveway is our house, if your passing one day pop in. Warn me first so i can lock the dog in :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back