Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most common resistors (to keep in stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I hate learning new programs, I simply use my word processor for the task. It will organize everything in alphanumerical order and is all the sophistication that I need. All of my solid state components (digital and linear ICs, transistors and diodes) are in random storage. If I need to find a 2N3904, I look up 2N3904 in my ring binder and go to drawer 23D (drawer #23, fourth compartment back from the front). The advantage of random storage (and the necessary location listing) over sequential storage is that I can put 4 TO-3 transistors wherever they fit and just note where they ended up. I don't have to worry about adding new parts and having to make space for them if they were sequential. I just put them in any empty slot and make a note of the location. If I ever use all of a certain device and it's one that I have only because it was harvested from a PCB, I don't try to restock. I just mark it off the list and make a note that "15C" is empty and available for my next new part.

Resistors and caps are stored sequentially.

Dean

Back on the original topic, Futurlec's Resistor Value Packs are about the cheapest I've found, come with enough values to cover everything but the very odd, and (this is the best part) come pre-sorted in nice little baggies. A quick check shows they come in both 1/4 and 1/2 watt.

Here's a list of my must haves

100, 220, 330, 470, 1K, 1.2K, 2.7K, 4.7K, 10K, 22K, 47K, 100K

Handy 680, 2.2K

3V0's list is more complete.

spiffed said:
Back on the original topic, Futurlec's Resistor Value Packs are about the cheapest I've found, come with enough values to cover everything but the very odd, and (this is the best part) come pre-sorted in nice little baggies. A quick check shows they come in both 1/4 and 1/2 watt.

1/8 watt resistors are nice for digital in work. The size diff between 1/4 and 1/8 can do a lot to save board space.

can i extend the scope of this and ask what are the must have transistors, diodes, and capacitors?

weegee said:
can i extend the scope of this and ask what are the must have transistors, diodes, and capacitors?
I like that a few parts are always available for my projects:

TRANSISTORS:
BC547, BC337 or PN2222A, 2N3904 (npn)
BC557, BC327, 2N3906 (pnp)
BS170 or 2N7000 (n-channel logic-level mosfets)

DIODES:
1n4148, 1n4007, 1 A bridge rectifiers

CAPACITORS:
assortment of electrolytics (perhaps 10 uF is the most common value for decoupling capacitors), 100 nF polyester film or ceramic.

Last edited:
Crap. eng1! Now i have to buy MORE stuff.... :( :D

My total is already $115 us. I hope that free shipping comes through...

i just buy a couple of bags of assorted resistors from a local electronics shop, and sort them out into parts cabinets (labeled according to values)

The only "local" electronics shop is radioshack. and everybody knows that radioshack is losing it's usefulness factor in this world... :rolleyes:

121 ohms are good for any adjustable regulator out their. Data sheets usually spec that or 240, and 121 will sub in for 240 in all cases I believe (not vice-versa).

Marks256 said:
The only "local" electronics shop is radioshack. and everybody knows that radioshack is losing it's usefulness factor in this world... :rolleyes:

still better stocked than i have to deal with
i go 2 times a year to bangkok to buy some easy availible parts everywhere except for where i live

on resistors it's ok here and everything else what you can find in the cheap crapy made in china/vietnam TV's
but you want a cd 4093 sorry we not have:eek:
LDR :eek:
opto coupler :eek:
lm35 :eek:
solenoid valve we have only 220v :eek:
contactors only have 220v :eek:

but to come back on the resistor thing
E12 works for me and use them the hole range
even the big Mega :eek:hm: 's
if you want to make timer circuits verry handy (cd4060 :eek: )
but the LEDs are cheaper here than in Bangkok

reason for that is that over here every self respecting car/motorbike owner have to pimp his vehicel up with LED lights :confused:

Robert-Jan

Hi spec,
Have you noticed that there is an 8 year gap in this thread prior to post #32 ? I have often missed this when someone posts on such an old thread.
Les.

Hi spec,
Have you noticed that there is an 8 year gap in this thread prior to post #32 ? I have often missed this when someone posts on such an old thread.
Les.
:banghead: Thanks Les,
I hate it when that happens.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back