Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitoring TX/RX pins without trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

upand_at_them

I'm building a simple serial monitor (sniffer?) that's comprised of a PIC and an OLED display to monitor the TX or RX line of another project. Do I need to buffer the signal, or will feeding it directly to the appropriate PIC input not cause any trouble?

It shouldn't cause any trouble, it's simply a high impedance CMOS input - a series resistor to limit the voltage (with the internal diodes) is all that's needed.

I've had a number of simple RS232 'monitors' over the years - they connected between the end of the RS232 cable and one of the items, and crudely stick LED's directly across the data and handshakes lines - so apply a HEAVY load to the lines, but always worked perfectly well with them in-circuit.

Oh, I should have pointed out that I'm monitoring the TX/RX lines of another uC project. I was worried about loading those lines, since they're probably very low current.

Oh, I should have pointed out that I'm monitoring the TX/RX lines of another uC project. I was worried about loading those lines, since they're probably very low current.

Like I said, the input of a PIC is VERY high impedance, and the output of a PIC is quite a LOW impedance - feeding two PIC inputs from one PIC output is of no consequence whatsoever, you could feed thousands.

If you want to monitor both then you need a pic with two uarts.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back