Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitoring system with optical fiber problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hello,

I have an RGM ISIS monitoring system from a yacht with a problem. This system has 6 units to get data from sensors and a main unit (brain) to communicate with these 6 peripheral units. Communication is through optical fiber. From 6 units one is missing at computer.

I took two units (the bad one and a good one), power supply and brain to check communication at workshop.
On the peripheral units I have SFH576V as emitter and at main unit I have SFH551-1V-1 as a receiver.
When I measure at SFH576V I have data coming out but when I measure at receiver I don´t get them, only 5V. I know this peripheral unit is working properly and I have the same data (measurement) at output of the unit which is not recognized on the system.
I know the input at main unit was also working so my question is: is it possible that the cable has some problem even if I see red light at the end of the cable??? It´s only a piece of optical cable I took from the yacht.

yes, you need microscope to thoroughly check, especially for dusty and damaged connectors(scratched), i recommend cleaning ends with proper methods,

also if there is light coming out any other part of the wire, or loss of light at the end, that is sign of crack, also if that is the case an Fiber Optic Light meter or else a VFL i think, will let you know

this stuff is very delicate, and easy to break in your fingers, as we found out when we troubleshot
( i cannot go in to detail about your systems, i was only trained to support the wire)

It's not a difficult problem to fix. I suggest you send me the air ticket and I'll come to Majorca and get the thing going for you!.
Been sailing enough times in the Whitsundays. Now for the Mediterranee.
Seriously, for broken wires in an electric cable use a current source and see what comes out; for broken fibres in an optical cable, use a light source and see what comes out. The cable cant be that long on a yacht but since the wavelength is visible, if you can see something at the end of the fibre, the problem is the detector. It seems the fibre used is a large diameter type of plastic fibre. The data rates suggested are only around 5Mbits so its not a difficult problem. if plastic fibres are used, then its unlikely to be a fibre breakage; but it might be.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, today I´ve been on board troubleshooting and the problem was the optical cable, around 30 cm defective, even with light coming out!!! As I had enough cable I cut it and everything works fine again. 4 KHz data in.

I know Rumpfy, we are in a very nice island!!! I´ve never been in Australia...

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back