Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Momentary lockout Solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's correct for D4, but why is the GND terminal of the 555 connected to +5V? I don't see how your trig arrangement can give you the lockout you asked for when you are effectively disconnecting the 555 supply (except when the trigger is held down)? The 555 and R4 don't seem to be doing anything useful in the above circuit; the relay is simply energised as soon as the trigger is pressed.

The GND terminal is connected to a +5v feed because it is the trigger lead from the guns pcb.

When you pull the trigger, that lead is grounded and the screen registers a shot.

Ive hijacked this ground to power the circuit so upon every trigger press the 555 is grounded and functions as a one shot 0.05 second pulse.

Ive been playing around with the driver for a few days now, this is where im at.

Ive built the rapid fire 555, but i feel it has input lag..
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

As for the original driver, ive taken the Nmosfet out of the loop and tried having trig running straight to + OR ground but it didnt work for me and i cant figure out why,
i thought 555's in momentary mode only really need 1 cap and 1 resistor (besides the cap on cv) like the following
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

So ive had to do this for now to get it running again, Ive also noticed that when i have the 100r resistor in place it dims the LED on the relay to the point you can barely see it.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Im a little lost....

Your 'not working' circuit fails because, assuming 5V is a constant supply, the 'trig' input of the 555 is not taken low initially to start the pulse. R1C1 remedy that in the 'working' circuit, but their values were originally selected to prevent rapid retriggering. If, now, you want a rapid fire system then C1 can be reduced to, say, 47n.
The resistor (100R) in series with the relay coil is unnecessary if the relay is a 5V coil type, unless the coil draws more than the 200mA for which the 555 output pin is rated. What is the coil resistance/current rating?
Rather than grab the 5V from the gun trigger (presumably via some unknown resistor) it might be better to use a 5V voltage regulator powered from the 24V rail.

Somethings to consider ... it looks like the pistol is a replica of the M1911 45 cal. There have been people who had a rate of fire of 550 rounds per minute or 0.109 seconds per round. One hand holding the weapon and the other working the trigger.

If that is what your pistol replicates, I would build the circuit to allow that rate of fire. Of course, the person would be moving their trigger finger as fast as possible. Also you might consider the number of rounds in the clip and delay firing the time it would take to change the clip which is about one second according to the videos on youtube.

Of course, if it's not the M1911, I would consider those the number of rounds, the rate of fire, and the delay for clip changes for whatever the weapon that pistol emulates.

Last edited:
Somethings to consider ... it looks like the pistol is a replica of the M1911 45 cal. There have been people who had a rate of fire of 550 rounds per minute or 0.109 seconds per round. One hand holding the weapon and the other working the trigger.

If that is what your pistol replicates, I would build the circuit to allow that rate of fire. Of course, the person would be moving their trigger finger as fast as possible. Also you might consider the number of rounds in the clip and delay firing the time it would take to change the clip which is about one second according to the videos on youtube.

Of course, if it's not the M1911, I would consider those the number of rounds, the rate of fire, and the delay for clip changes for whatever the weapon that pistol emulates.

Thats some top info Joe! You know your guns :)

I worked out the per round time by figuring out how long it takes to activate the solenoid (.04 seconds) rounded it up to .05 seconds and doubled it to allow for the solenoid to return to its original position.
This allows for 600 rounds per minute.

Now my brother practices button presses per second, i know it sounds strange but check this out.
**broken link removed**

Well if hes doing normal button presses he can get around 130 per ten seconds, if hes using his fingernail and making his wrist "vibrate"
he can achieve 170 presses per 10 seconds.
Thats 1020 presses per minute!

But id rather keep the rapid fire down to 500 hits per minute to allow for proper function of the recoil.

Alec-t , the relay is rated at 20mA
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/194494/HONGFA/HFS40.html

If i drop down to say a 47nf cap id have to use a 2.2m resistor to get the 50ms up down im looking for, is this advisable? will there be any significant change in input if a change the cap?

I figured using the same caps as in the original driver was a good idea as the timings were pretty much the same just ones momentary and the other is astable.

When using the nMOSFET do you think that maybe it isolates the input/output a little better?
As the nMOSFET grounds the relay to activate it while without the nMOSFET i have to feed 5v into the relay run it and its always grounded.

As far as connecting the driver to a separate 5v feed, i have 2 power supplies, ones a 24v 6 amp dc, and the other has -5v, +5v and 12v.

I was thinking of connecting the grounds of the two supplies and using the 5v feed and just the Nmosfet

The NMOSFET would be preferable to the relay for a rapid-fire system IMO.
I worked out the per round time by figuring out how long it takes to activate the solenoid (.04 seconds) rounded it up to .05 seconds and doubled it to allow for the solenoid to return to its original position.
You could re-run a sim with those figures in mind to see what the preferred cap value should be.

This allows for 600 rounds per minute.

Now if you used a 1uF capacitor and a 100 k fixed resistor, you would have .11 seconds That is 10 mS slower than your calculation in the quote of doubling the 50 mS solenoid time. That is also only 1 mS slower than the 550 rounds per minute calculation.

You need to limit the number of rounds to include a reload. Most 9mm have 15 round clips

The one man army, Richard Miller, only has a six shot pistol and infinite ammo, plus reloads with his foot =]
- Time Crisis...

**broken link removed**

Having the pot there allows me to be silly or realistic with the fire rate.

Last edited:
Having the pot there allows me to be silly or realistic with the fire rate.

Yes it does. It all depends on what you want to do.

You can simulate reality and those "hot shots" racking up outrageous scores will have to refrain from "spray and pray" to making each shot count.

Gun control isn't about spraying and praying. It's about putting the round where you want it to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back