Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modules to convert vintage radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I have a couple of 50 year old radios that have had it circuit wise, and they are not particularly valuable.

I'd like to put one of these dab/mp3/bluetooth modules in these, however after googling and ebaying I cant find any.

There are plenty of people offering these conversion sincluding some that obviously dont have the technology to do it themselves, so they must be avaiable off the shelf.
Any ideas?

Yes seen those.
If I jigsawed a hole in a vinatge radio and stuck that in I think it'd look a bit out of place.
Maybe I should of explained a bit more, ones I've seen look like the tuning and volume controls are on pots, and maybe you use these same controls to select stuff using what looks like a 2x16 display then you can mod the set and fit these control pots in place of the original volume pot and tuning cap, obviously modules designed for the job, highly specialized, and most likely a guarded secret from those that do conversions.

Good call there fezder, that looks usefull, esp if the line in takes priority without a bluetooth connection.

In my mechanical 'shop I have a dab table top radio, its has 6 preset buttons and 4 control buttons as well as a rotary encoder for tuning and a pot for volume.
It just so happens that the old wooden radio has 10 preset buttons with contacts, which are just right for the presets and control buttons, and I could rewire the volume control for mono on the radio board and use the old radios volume pot, and make a coupling that attaches the dab radio encoder to the back of the airspaced cap in the old timer.
The 2x16lcd on the dab can be replaced for a brighter one and go behind a darkened screen on the tuning dial so it hides when off.
And if the bluetooth module does default to line in that would automatically connect bluetooth to the amp when a connection to a device is made.
And maybe a class D raucous sounding amp for the speaker o/p.
Not too bothered about mp3 if the set has bluetooth.

Last edited:
Yeah, line-in, and external antenna possibility were reasons I chose that module. I have TEA5767 modules also, mates well with line-in, so system would consist radio, aux-in and bluetooth!

I have a module on order from china, its similar to the tea5767 with the exception that it has Rds.
Dab tuners seem very complicated, the dab radio I mentioned has a radioscape plug in module for the Dab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back