Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify kitchen lights to be motion sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback. So, it seems that my hunches were right. Electronics components distributer websites are notorius for the wrong information.
A 2 pin connector would be depicted as a 10 pin connector picture. Sometimes, it the wrong part of an assembly that's pictured. Not having one to ask though is even more frustrating as you found out. with your options a 5.5/2.1 "fits" a 5.5/2.5 connector, but it's the wrong one.

Glad your happy.

EDIT: FWIW: Continuity worked for you. It;s important to not do continuity measurements on a powered circuit. Polarity would have been a "better" choice.

Last edited:
Many years ago I wired several rooms in the house to be motion sensitive. We entered the house through back door through the kitchen. Any time we came in day or night kitchen light came on. I adjusted the light sensitive finally thought i had it set right but any change in outside light, dark, day time, cloudy rainy day, cloud passes in front of the sun, lights came on even if not needed. I adjusted the on/off timer and sensitivity so unnecessary light would go off quick but if your in the kitchen not moving light goes off you have to keep waving your arms to get the light on again. Get light to work perfect after dark it wont work in the day. Get light to work during the day it wont work after dark. LOL.

I had the same problem with the bed room light finally had is set perfect but middle of the night anytime someone rolls over light comes on, pull the blanket light comes on, gets out of bed to pee light comes on. I set the light to go off quick it was irritating all night to have the light come on 20 times for 1 minute each time.

I had motion light in the living room too. Laying on sofa watching TV not moving light goes off. I adjusted TV brightness for lights off but anytime someone comes into the room or moves light comes on. With light going on/off TV brightness was never right.

LOL it was so funny and irritating I finally removed all the motion detectors.

Have FUN. Don't get frustrated. Keep working on it to make it work right if that is possible.

I sort share that story. The application was for mom, but being from the US Depression, coming on for 5 minutes when it was light was a problem for her. I wanted her to be able to get out of the living room. One light is on a Astronomic timer ; On - 1/2 hour after dusk and off at 11:30 pm.

She needed a walker and now a wheelchair, so you could "get caught" unable to get out.

I just used a night light and an RF module type of light (typically used for driveways). It also had a chime mode. It does have a light detector, but it could not be set "dark enough" to stay off.

The motion detector was on top of a china closet and the light was a 7 W night light. It needs to be off if there is any hint of light. It could follow an astronomic timer an be fine too. So, it would not work when you had a total eclipse of the sun during the day for 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back