Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MODERATORS: Please check the bug thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here (just today):

upload_2015-8-1_18-42-42.png

And so on for a total of 30. I've also disabled ALL alerts.

EDIT!! It just sent another, after I stopped ALL alerts.

Last edited:
Just disabled this button ("Browsing Preferences") as well:

upload_2015-8-1_18-52-42.png

We'll see what that does.

Also noticed that, at this time (1856), there are no Mods online...

Started back up, again!

upload_2015-8-1_19-26-29.png

Where are the MODS??

This is getting old. Stuffing the mail box ain't right :banghead:.

Sorry guys, been in the process of a move, wedding planning, work, etc so I haven't been on this site a whole lot lately (except every now and then while I'm at work).

This isn't something the mods can really help with, besides bringing it in front of Dave (which you guys are welcome to do as well). Dave is very responsive and I'm sure he'd be happy to respond to PMs regarding this issue.

It looks like you're getting email notifications for every new post, regardless of whether or not you've turned off notifications. Did you turn off regular site notifications (the red number in the top right), or did you actually disable email alerts? Do you want to receive any email alerts?

I'll bring this thread (well, both threads) to Dave and have him take a look.

Regards,
Matt

I am getting MANY e-mail notifications to threads that DO NOT have new posts. Over and over and over and ....
I have maybe 20 or 30 notifications for each thread in the past few hours. I get about 24 notifications for each hour.

This morning I had many duplicated notifications of a few threads with no new posts on them that came last night so I deleted them. That was over an hour ago and I got no more so maybe this site is FIXED!

Its also happened at EDA.

So far I do not see the problem.:stop:

There may have been some software work done on the site.

Sometime yesterday I deleted a spammer, and one of the screens which appears during this process was a bit "different", not in a bad way, it just seemed to have more information on it.

So far I have not been bothered by multi-notifications.
But I only get notifications for conversations, and I have not had any in the past 24 hours or so.

JimB

it was our email service provider... they upgraded their servers and something went very wrong and everything got caught in a loop. I had to pull the plug on ETO, EDA, 3dcadforums, mcad and all 40 of our wordpress sites. My webmaster email account is unusable right now with over 100k loops. Every event on ALL the sites get sent in an email.

Anyhow none of the sites are sending out emails so no notifications or confirmation emails etc.

yes double xpost'd

IF you are still getting dupe emails email me at dmiyares@wtwhmedia.com NOT webmaster@wtwhmedia.com building a script to clean that out.

loop.gif

Last edited:
Apparently, they forgot a rule. Do upgrades during working hours a, so you don't have to work overime during the weekend.

I am finally able to sign onto ETO. I had changed my contact address to a gmail account, so I could theoretically work and correspond in peace over the weekend. Unfortunately, as part of the glitch, the confirmation e-mail was not sent to that account until this morning, and the e-mails continued until ETO management turned them off.

Has anyone at ETO administration ever asked what happens if someone accidentally enters a non-working e-mail? How would that person ever get back on ETO? There is apparently no "time out" for the e-mail change confirmation that would cause it to revert back to the original. Even the simplest PIC chip has a WDT that resets.

Anyway, now that the e-mail bug seems to be fixed, I wanted to change my address back to what it originally was. Can't do that and get the error message that that address is currently in use. However, I cannot sign in with that old e-mail address. So, who has it now?

Security features are certainly needed, but when those features are poorly planned and work to prevent legitimate access, they become self-defeating. I hope ETO's administration sees a need to review them.

John

Not sure I follow what you're trying to change so I shot over a PM.

Anyhow... most forums have two boxes to put in your email address... in an attempt to make sure folks don't put in a wrong one or fat finger it. Problem is most people I know copy & paste from one box to the next... if they don't have some sort of password mgmt system that auto fills in your email (ie: <plug>LastPass</plug>) . Did you get an email or warning from the system saying your email isn't working? I'm digging around in the back end settings right now and see that the bounce handler is working. THIS might be the issue in that one email bounced. Since we're now using Gmail as the SMTP relay (until they say no) the system is able to get in and pull bounces etc. The other system which went into the weeds over the weekend never processed bounces.

-Dave

Anyhow... most forums have two boxes to put in your email address...
The change e-mail dialog was only one box at that time.
Did you get an email or warning from the system saying your email isn't working?
No. The only warning I got was on the ETO forum home page saying I needed to verify the new e-mail or resend it, which I did a couple of times.

I think the plan you described by PM will work just fine.

Thank you.

John

Respond sometime after this mess is over:

How easy is it to use gmail as an SMTP relay? I have a NAS server (QNAP, embedded linux) that rarely spits out error messages. I think I receive them because there is an alternate address assigned. None of these small boxes (and similar ones) do the SSH type of encryption, they just want an SMTP server on port 25. Some won't even allow you to change the port. Verizon is the ISP with a dynamicaly assigned IP address.

Where I used to work, I could always use works outgoing mail server where it had to authenticate. I don't think it would work in the above situation.

My research has indicated that I would need Dyndns with an MX record for starters.

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Res...support/top+questions/questionsone/124274.htm

Maybe I've answered my own question. I have to use the verizon email address which I NEVER use to send messages or receive messages. Therefore the standard test that senders email domain matches the domain of the SMTP record works. I think gmail won't allow you to send mail to yourself.

That won't help if I can only use port 25.

Thank you for discovering the cause and fixing the problem very quickly.

AG,

I agree, Dave did a great job getting the system working again. One small glitch remains, I am not getting notices of posts to subscribed threads, such as this one. Just checked my settings, and they look OK. It may be that the subscription flag for this thread was erased during the crisis, so maybe this post will reset it as a test.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back