Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mobile site issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
I figured I would keep this out of the main stream.

But, the mobile site seems to have issues. Probably the only real way of demonstrating the issues is to take photos, but I don;t have the time to devote to that.
I typically run with the desktop version rather than the mobile versions of websites.

I use a 2.x version of Android and either the built-in browser or Opera Mini.

1. Rendering pages is slow. In fact it's so slow is results in timeouts occasionally.
2. Unresponsive probaby because your waiting for the pages to fully load.
Unresponsive defined as:
Not responding well to drags or link taps.

3. Rendering, The line starting with Forums and ending in Alerts. The right area is all on top of each other at times.
I posted something and the rendering of the post showed the shadowed area where the icon is over much farther to the right than the posts above.

4. Icons take a long time to draw.

It's almost like the phone is having trouble rendering the pages because something is to big or stuff is rendered unnecessarily.

I can't really watch videos on my phone. The phone could probably use an upgrade. The phone is a Motorola Backflip.

I'm able to keep up with current phones and upgrades, there is a difference in the resolution. It will be over time that this upgrade will provide a decent resolution to our problems.

However, my problems are small, and I can deal with them. Until EM, can focus on those resolutions to each and every environment,of a specific device. We will suffer that result. Sit back and enjoy, the other comforts of the new software.

I really haven't tried to use the cell much with the new software. All I can say is I have issues and I just summarized them on a generic basis. I have the ability to photograph the rendering.

I really haven't tried to use the cell much with the new software. All I can say is I have issues and I just summarized them on a generic basis. I have the ability to photograph the rendering.

FYI,
How to make and use a simple retort for separating gold-mercury amalgam.

KISS.

kv

Edit: I've enjoyed your post's.

Hi ronsimpson, the new site is now live. We have a few things to complete but please feel free to keep posting as normal. If you have any questions or want more info, please follow this link.
This window takes only one line on the desktop computer. On my phone this takes up 1/4 of a page. I wish this would go away.

In landscape mode (wide mode):
The user information on the left takes up 1/4 of the display. The text takes up 1/2 of the width. Then there is a 1/4 page blank column on the right.
Not great but useable.

tall mode:
The user information uses up 1/2 the display. Text is only one word wide. The blank column on the right is 1/4 the display.
Not useable.
Sorry for the bad picture.

Attachments

• Picture 3975.jpg
    Picture 3975.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 306
Hi ronsimpson, did you know that you can clear that notification. Top right is a cross.. Click it and you wont see it again. However, its time to remove it anyway so i'll do it in the backend.

Thanks for the image, I've noticed that the responsive design was not working very well on very small screens so have tweaked it a little.

KeepItSimpleStupid, I'm not sure what i can do about the site running slow for slower devices. If you provide a particular problem I can work on it.

EM:

I know I have to be more specific. Today I was out and trying to use ETO while dining and later at home with my phone. The what, when, how and why wasn't written down or paid attention too. I do remember one other comment from a dial-up user complaining that the site was slow and an Ancient Android device might actually fit that bill. At the time of my trial run I was unable to compare and/or take pics or write down useful info.

So, in the very least, I created a mobile issues thread. There was one thread/post (again unknown) that I was unable to load because of a timeout multiple times. I didn't even pay attention if I was connected via 3G or WIFI because I wasn't troubleshooting.

===

Is there something that can be changed to allow longer page load times at your end? Can you detect whether or not a mobile device is connected and increase the timeout for a mobile device? The inability to download a page because of timeouts makes the site unuseable. Taking longer to load a page is preferred.

The first order problem is to see if the page timeouts can be increased for mobile users.

===

Once the page fully loaded, responsiveness returned. e.g. Dragging finger would actually scroll and tapping would work. It was almost like the rendering was CPU intensive and it shouldn't be.

You still have some main site issues to work on. LATEX and Symbols come to mind.

I used the site today from my phone and things were improved. Android 2.x, Opera mini browser, 3G, Landscape

Alerts+messages show up as one blurb. e.g. 3 conversations and 7 alerts shows up as 10. Getting to those pages is a two step process started by clicking on my username. I don't have a problem with that. I couldn't really click on the # of alerts that pops up. If I could, then bringing up the username age would be a better option if you clicked on alerts+conversations.

That probably makes no sense.

No messed up graphics.

The second issue I had tonight, was one thread and the login page had a hard time opening when I clicked on it's title. The progress bar would get nearly to the end and I'd be back on the same page as though the page timed out with no visible errors. I tried refreshing the page and opening in a new tab with some success,

Better.

Cursor UP doesn't work as expected in mobile site.

Post something and overfill the visible portion of the REPLY Text BOX.
Hit a down arrow.
It moves to a button.

When you now go backwards, it fills the text box from the top again, thus your not where you were,
The UP Arrow acts as a back scroll through the text box and I think it should save the Start position when it leaves, so when the arrow acts as a back key, your cursor is positioned where you were before.

Suppose the box had five visible lines and 2 invisible ones.
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6i
7i
<some button - probably reply>

So, the forward arrow does 1,2,3,4,5,6i,7i, and then <some button> and then the <cursor up> makes lines 1-5 visible.
I think it should make lines 3,4,5,6i,7i visible.

It's really annoying when you hit the cursor down too many times,

Yesterday and today the mobile site was basically unuseable. Clicking the ALERTS seems to be the best way of looking at active threads.

Clicking on that area brought up everything but alerts.

Pages would just STOP loading partway through.

The mobile site was acting up today with the same stop somewhere in the progress bar. In one case, I was trying to edit a thread.
It was back to being unusable.

I also had issues when I tried to touch the Alerts tab, I kept getting the "/accounts" tab. Now Alerts and Inbox are separate and now, they don't work as well as they used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back