Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mitre saw laser guide resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetupps

Hi folks new to the forum with my first post here. I've got a mitre saw with a faulty laser. I've replaced the laser and know thats working. Having traced the circuit board out (i think) I came to a burnt out resistor. I'm pretty sure this is the problem. I have tried to read it but not sure I'm doing it right. I've come up with 1000000 ohm with -/+2% tolerance. Underneath it written on the circuit board it says 25R / 1W. Can someone tell me what resistor I need (i.e. what i need to type into ebay) cheers for any help you can give.

I've attached a pic. if you cant see it to well, its a light blue cover with a brown band (burnt section) black band green band red band.

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 305
hi mate, thanks for the reply. So if i where to go in to an electronics shop and ask for a resistor I would request a .25 watt???? or 25 ohms? or a 1w or etc... I have near enough no understanding of electronics.

hi mate, thanks for the reply. So if i where to go in to an electronics shop and ask for a resistor I would request a .25 watt???? or 25 ohms? or a 1w or etc... I have near enough no understanding of electronics.

In order to match what the PCB says, you would walk in and say that you want a "1 Watt 25 Ohm resistor".

I think you read the color bands backward; if you start with the red one, the value you wind up with is 25 Ohms. I suspect that the "brown" band used to be gold (i.e., 10% tolerance) but I could be wrong about that. If it burned and failed open (as opposed to failing shorted) that would explain the very high resistance you measured.

Regards,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back