Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontrollers and programming languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnmcfly

Hi everyone !

I am an absolute beginner in the Microcontrollers' world
But I think I will enjoy it. Haha :)

Anyway, I would like to know which programming languages are used in Microcontrollers.
I know there is C, Assembly language... What else ?

Can we program an Arduino Card in Basic ?

Thanks for your answers ! :)

If you are going to program the Arduino in basic, you'll have to loose the bootloader!!!

No you don't. Bootloader is used to upload the compiled .hex file into the microcontroller. No matter what compiler or language you used to create the .hex file.

I thought the Adrduino boot loader was specific to their IDE!

Bootloader is a program in the microcontroller. You need a PC software that can communicate with the bootloader and then you can upload your code to the microcontroller. There are other software available than Arduino IDE that can communicate with the arduino bootloader.

> Can we program an Arduino Card in Basic ?

There is a free BASIC compiler called Firewing

https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=Firewing.Download

here is some sample code, so you get an idea of the programming language

https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=FirewingUser.SDFileReader
https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=FirewingUser.FT800Widget

and you can use a Firewing main board

https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=Firewing.MainBoard

which has the same pinout arrangement as an Arduino. That means you can use Arduino shields with the Firewing main board. In the second code example above, I used a Gameduino 2 shield you generate the graphics. Check out these videos of Firewing in use with the Gameduino 2 shield

There are 8, 16 and 32 bit editions of the compiler and I will be releasing the 8 and 32 bit boards very soon.

https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=Firewing.Firewing08Beta
https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=Firewing.Firewing32Beta

If you don't want to buy a Firewing board, you can make your own - full schematics and loader source is provided on the Firewing website. So you can have an optimising 8, 16 or 32 bit PIC based compiler and your own development board for zero $$$

Any questions, please just ask...

While I appreciate the information David!!! I'm not sure about the content and whether the new establishment allow this kind of self promotion..

However!!! I think there should be a place where we can link this kind of information...

I must say that this is quite a step forward for newbies trying to get into this sort of stuff, and I for one would like to keep it on the forum for all members to see...

I'm sure the new admin will let you know in due course..

Thank you all for your answers ! This is very helpful to me ! :)

Just a silly question (don't forget I am totally beginner), when we talked about programming BASIC, does it mean BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) or Visual Basic ?

Yes, a form of Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. One that is designed for use on a microcontroller in this case.
Visual basic will work on personal computers but not microcontrollers.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I always liked plain old C for microcontrollers: It's ubiquitous to almost all platforms, efficient, and you get a good understanding of the underlying architecture without breaking your head over it. There are so many tutorials online nowadays, I like to think anyone with a mind for this sort of stuff and some patience could figure out basic embedded C pretty quickly.

I also see some artistic types/hobbyists who just want to express their ideas without worrying too much about the technical details, so in that case a simpler or more visual language might be better.

That's just my experience with these things, anyways :rolleyes:

While I appreciate the information David!!! I'm not sure about the content and whether the new establishment allow this kind of self promotion..

However!!! I think there should be a place where we can link this kind of information...

I must say that this is quite a step forward for newbies trying to get into this sort of stuff, and I for one would like to keep it on the forum for all members to see...

I'm sure the new admin will let you know in due course..

Well, David's post is self-promotion to be sure, but it's promotion for a compiler available without restriction for free.. I'm sure David would be happy if you use his boards (which are reasonably priced) but you don't even have to do that. Schematics are available to create your own and you can use either an Arduino-centric approach with Arduino-style pin names or dispense with that (nonsense) and use real port names (as God intended).

Well, David's post is self-promotion to be sure, but it's promotion for a compiler available without restriction for free.. I'm sure David would be happy if you use his boards (which are reasonably priced) but you don't even have to do that. Schematics are available to create your own and you can use either an Arduino-centric approach with Arduino-style pin names or dispense with that (nonsense) and use real port names (as God intended).
All the mods agree... The post is staying put!!! I wanted to make the post more global, so everyone can see it...

> All the mods agree... The post is staying put!!!

That's great, I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone - I appreciate your understanding. Thanks Ian...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back