Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCUs for motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

kal.a

Hello gentlemen,

I need a layman's explanation of how a motor controller chip like Infineon's IRMCF143 works in a very general way.
It is supposed to be "Codeless" controller which means it has the motion control engine with all the necessary algorithm for controlling (commutation) a permanent magnet DC motor.
They have configuration and commissioning software and development kits and all that jazz but I don't get how one would connect to one of those!
I thought I would have a board with the communication port on it and a socket to plug-in the chips to configure then remove them and use them on the project board.

Is it supposed to be used in a project that includes a communication port of some sort so that after it is all soldered to the board then I connect to it and configure and commission with the provided software?

Thanks

Kal

The way I see it, that chip is a 8051 microcontroller combined with the motor control engine that runs the motion algorithms. All I guess you need to do is to program the 8051 to do what ever task you want, based on what comes through the various IO pins, UART, I2C, etc.

I´d say that if they provide evaluation boards, they also show the setup and provide you with some example code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back