Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max TV antenna coax length?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some launch amps on line brings up another question. Would it be possible, rather that rotating an antenna to two or 3 different stations, to use 2 or even 3 antennas, each permanently pointed at a different TV station and input into the same coax cable?

Looking at some launch amps on line brings up another question. Would it be possible, rather that rotating an antenna to two or 3 different stations, to use 2 or even 3 antennas, each permanently pointed at a different TV station and input into the same coax cable?

Sure you can but normally the other directions from the main antenna would have an antenna cut just for that frequency to reduce multi-path reception when they are mixed for the cable run. Multi-path is a killer for DTV even with strong signals but the newer receiver DTV chipsets are much better than the originals.

https://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/190-What-is-multipath-and-what-can-I-do-about-it

yes, Tinlee ought to be able to make the requisite combiner/filter. I think Wingard made an dual antenna combiner. I have it for future use. www.blondertongue.com

They make some "very sweet" single channel antennas. I have one, that I plan to use. https://www.blondertongue.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=616#tabid_0 You will likely need to get an account to login. The antenna actually spans about 5 or 6 channels from the center channel.

If there is no possibility of another signal, you can use a splitter in reverse.

==

Other possibilities for power is a DC bus like 24 VDC or 48 VDC and DC-DC convert at the endpoints.

Sure you can but normally the other directions from the main antenna would have an antenna cut just for that frequency to reduce multi-path reception when they are mixed for the cable run. Multi-path is a killer for DTV even with strong signals but the newer receiver DTV chipsets are much better than the originals.

https://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/190-What-is-multipath-and-what-can-I-do-about-it

I thought one of the major advantages of DDT (and why the particular modulation scheme was chosen) was to eliminate almost all multipath problems, with multiply echos simply adding to the signal strength.

However, it's generally a VERY bad idea to try and connect aerials together - although using narrow band channel specific filters on each one would help.

If they are directional and are like at least 90 degrees apart it should be fine.

Except they still pickup considerable signal off line, and also any reflections from where they are pointing - most reputable installers wouldn't generally do it - if you want multiple aerials, then have a selection switch.

Except they still pickup considerable signal off line, and also any reflections from where they are pointing - most reputable installers wouldn't generally do it - if you want multiple aerials, then have a selection switch.
I did it at home and it was fine for me, but as you say the setup may have to many hart aches for commercial use.
But if the OP wants to try it why not, ether it will work for him or not.
Worst case set up a remote antenna switch.
Still may be more reliable then a rotor.
My roof top rotor that I spent good money for quit in a year or two and that's why I used two antennas, but my local stations were in two clusters on different hills 120 degrees apart.

I thought one of the major advantages of DDT (and why the particular modulation scheme was chosen) was to eliminate almost all multipath problems, with multiply echos simply adding to the signal strength.

However, it's generally a VERY bad idea to try and connect aerials together - although using narrow band channel specific filters on each one would help.

This (multi-path) was one of the major objections to 8VSB ATSC modulation during the US DTV evaluation. The sensitivity of 8VSB/ATSC to phase shifts in signal paths makes it almost impossible to receive while moving even with the best of antennas using the best receiver technology today.
**broken link removed**

When combining, the signals can add or subtract and I know of no easy way to reverse one. In my case I could reverse the antenna to coax connector box, but not the signal to the single channel antenna. This will be a trial, maybe next year.

Blonder tongue generally wants you to amplify and then combine because of the losses. As I said earlier, Tinlee should be able to make a customizeable product. See: http://www.tinlee.com/MATV_headend.php?active=4#MULTIPLECHANNELCOMBINER

See also: **broken link removed**

Thanks again for all the info. I've learned much as I always do on this forum, thanks to knowledgeable and selfless people. I'll be away from home for a few days so expect no posts from me till back.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back