Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mark Forum as Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipsy

I'm relatively new to this site but have found the Forum Tools > Mark This Forum Read option does not work for me. The Forum Tools dropdown menu just remains open as if I hadn't clicked the option and all the new posts remain highlighted. I thought it might be a quirk of Firefox so switched to IE and get exactly the same.

I have had no problem marking forums read using Firefox. I do find its location as a drop down under Forum Actions a bit inconvenient. However, I use New Posts mostly, and in that case, it is not in a drop down.

John

I'm also having issues with it. It does mark the forums as read, but it doesn't close the menu or update the page like it used to. It's like the response isn't getting back to the client.

Firefox 3.5.7, OS X 10.5.8

I don't know what software this forum runs but it does seem like another I use and the same Menu option on that site works fine. On this site, the menu drops down but does not appear to act on my clicking the Mark As Read option - though I admit I'm too impatient to wait longer than a minute or two. However, when I return, I can see the action has not been carried out. Perhaps distance is a factor as I'm in the UK.

Admins, please note this is not a complaint, just an observation FYI in case it may be helpful to you. It could well be my fault or one of who-knows how many relays my packets must pass through to reach your server.

Additionally, I was unable to visit this forum at all yesterday as I invariably got "Page Not Found". It's obviously back today.

Hi Angie, it simply doesn't work for me, every day I visit the unread posts are still showing the same posts (unless I open each one) and growing with new posts. I will delete my cache and cookies etc again but as I say, I don't have this problem with another forum using vBulletin Version 4 which seems identical software to this one. What software is this forum as I can't see reference to it?

This is definately vBulletin as it's in the mark-up. Not sure what version tho' but I do know ElectroMaster just updated it.

(mutters jokingly) if it ain't broke don't fix it :D (end muttering)

Mark-up? I must have missed that whatever it is. On a positive note, the problem is no longer. Yay, no more scrutinising every post! Revisiting the forums I find the threads are now marked as read - even those with new posts, like this one.

Hi Guys,

I am aware of this problem and have actually tried to fixed it.. This is a bug within the official software and will be resolved when they release the next version.

They announced that the next version (a bug fix version) should be released this week. When that comes out, I'll be upgrading to it asap :)

Sorry about all the inconvenience :(

Regards,
Em

Hi EM and thanks for the feedback. No need for apologies as far as I'm concerned and may I say what a grand job you're doing, well done.
p.s. Our town is twinned with yours.

hi guys, just checking in :)

the new version is now installed.. is the problem still there?

When I click 'mark as read' the new posts clear and the Forums page is displayed.

This happens when the 'no new posts' message is shown and when there are new posts.

So it works for me.

Same here. Menu now goes away, but screen does not auto-refresh.

Firefox 3.5.7 on OSX 10.5.8

Same here. Menu now goes away, but screen does not auto-refresh.

Firefox 3.5.7 on OSX 10.5.8

And me but pressing F5 does the refresh and all is good. To be honest I only mark the messages read just before leaving the forum anyway so it does what I need it to.

May I also acknowledge the work EM is putting in on this. I've developed web applications for over 10 years now and I know the minefield that are web browsers. They are less forgiving than operating systems as, with operating systems you can at least included files that an end user can install.

My comment 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' was not meant to derride EM's hard work in maintaining this forum.

Seems it's not over yet. When I tried to use Mark As Read, first the drop-down menu would appear on mouse-over whereas I've come to expect to have to click it first. Then moving mouse down the menu makes it close. Third time lucky and clicking Mark As Read now takes me back to the index page.

Last edited:
Seems it's not over yet. When I tried to use Mark As Read, first the drop-down menu would appear on mouse-over whereas I've come to expect to click it. And clicking Mark As Read now takes me back to the index page.

hi T,
That went down a few minutes ago.

Also try 'My Account'

BTW: the smilies dont work.!

My Account menu works fine for me (this time!) but the Forum Tools drop-down menu now opens when I mouse-over and then closes as I mouse-over the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back