Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make Remote transmit further

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi.
I purchased a 4 power point remote switch pack.
**broken link removed**

The distance im getting is about 10m max. I want to try make this work 15-20m. I was hoping i could extend the internal antenna on the transmitter and receiver but when i opened up there is no antenna.
Could one of you clever people tell me where to hook up a wire and what is best to use.

thanks

Attachments

• PowerpointSwitch1.jpg
    PowerpointSwitch1.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 122
  • PowerpointSwitch2.jpg
    PowerpointSwitch2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Transmitterremote1.jpg
    Transmitterremote1.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 98
  • TransmitterRemote2.jpg
    TransmitterRemote2.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 114
connect a long wire to Rx parallel to Tx
hold Tx parallel to Rx wire

you need >4x the signal to get 2x distance

use AA Lithium cell in Tx at same V or CR123 at 3V and it doesnt burn out device

Thanks for the replies but at mentioned in the OP i know what you have told me, im just not sure on the boards where to solder a wire for the TX & RX, also the remote uses the 12v small battery.

Be aware that the switching unit which plugs into the mains outlet does not appear to isolate the control electronics from the mains supply, and so could be dangerous to have an added wire antenna.

As for where to connect an external antenna, due to the simple (crude ?) nature of the RF circuitry, it is likely that the loading effects of the external antenna on the circuit will offset any gains due to using a larger antenna.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back