Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Major gains in fuel economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you certainly are stretching your point.
Many poor people go very frequently to the most expensive place they know, their church that has pure gold inside.
A friend sold extremely expensive vacuum cleaners. The poor people bought most of them.

I know people with a very expensive home and expensive cars. They don't have good furniture. They eat cheaply and don't go on vacations. They live poorer than some poor people I know.

I saw a TV commercial that started running recently that kinda pisses me off. It's for the "new" Chevy Volt. The ad copy says, "It can go up to 40 miles before it uses any gas at all".

That's the ad that Chevy should have been running 30 or 35 years ago! I've been saying for years that you son't try to build a 400 mile range electric. You build a hybrid that goes (an advertised) 40 miles...so it can actually reliably go 20. That takes care of 90% of your driving. The gasoline/diesel/biofuel/atomic/hamster powered engine is used for the longer trips.

Geez, it only took Chevrolet 35 more years to figure that out than it took me. I must be a frikkin' genius, huh?

Last edited:
Never, Never Land?

Know what you mean, I walked into our local PicknPay some weeks back and my favourite red wine was marked at R16 per bottle.

When I saw the "R", my interest kind of picked up (your location of "SA" can mean a lot of things...in the western hemisphere, often South America).

I had visited some people in South Africa a couple of years ago and have been doing some thinking about some of the things going on over there with your new government and all.

So, being a naturally curious sort, I entered, "harties, south africa" into the search field of Google Earth...and it flew me to...I don't know. Some where around Pretoria?

Last edited:
When I saw the "R", my interest kind of picked up (your location of "SA" can mean a lot of things...in the western hemisphere, often South America).

I had visited some people in South Africa a couple of years ago and have been doing some thinking about some of the things going on over there with your new government and all.

So, being a naturally curious sort, I entered, "harties, south africa" into the search field of Google Earth...and it flew me to...I don't know. Some where around Pretoria?

Yip, Harties is short for Hartbeespoortdam.
Whe are close to Brits(20km), Pretoria(45km) and Johannesburg(60km).
I'm net really into politics, but the new government stinks about the same as the previous one, only the wind direction has changed.:)
Guess I should change that SA to RSA;)

Wow, you certainly are stretching your point. Just how many people do you know that actually live in tents and have a big expensive TV or car? Rounds to zero. Where do you get these things?

You'll be surprised, I've seen people that lives in a corrugated iron shack, but the BMW is parked under the roof extension.
This was years ago, I'm sure that particular person has now built a nice brick home on a piece of land he did not pay a cent for, using water and electricity he doesn't pay a cent for, and nobody knows where his income comes from.:confused:

Yip, Harties is short for Hartbeespoortdam.
Whe are close to Brits(20km), Pretoria(45km) and Johannesburg(60km).
I'm net really into politics, but the new government stinks about the same as the previous one, only the wind direction has changed.:)
Guess I should change that SA to RSA;)

Well, I'm also not really interested in the politics of the country and, this is certainly not the forum for discussing South African (or any other) politics, anyway.

So, I'll just say that I'm always looking for information sources and brains to pick. If you have some views on things going on there (especially, as regards the education system), and wouldn't mind sharing....

I do like your Amarula Cream Liquor and was able to buy a 750 mL bottle there for R52. It's available here but (converting to Rands) about R150 ($20).

Last edited:
All you can practically mod your car with for fuel economy is make it possible for the car to burn the fuel more efficiently.

Turbo-charge your engine, this is going to allow your engine to harvest more energy out of your fuel. So in a sense this will provide efficiency in power/fuel ratio. Then it comes to using the power, if you floor it at every stop light, it's gonna give you more acceleration. If you step on the gas as if there is an egg between the pedal and your foot, you will achieve better fuel economy - that's about it.

No additives or anything is going to help anyone achieve better fuel economy with their already existing engines.

If anyone wants to achieve impractical fuel economy, they can toss out their dashboard, seats, spare tire, body parts, and drive in a naked chassis. Wait loss diets will also work.

Anyone remember the "tornado" on late night TV? rofl

Last edited:
Time will tell...

All you can practically mod your car with for fuel economy is make it possible for the car to burn the fuel more efficiently.

It seems to be pretty much a universal consensus here that gasoline formulations are essentially as good not only as they are going to get but, actually as good as it's possible for them to get.

In a way it kind of pains me a bit that when the next advancement or breakthrough in fuels comes along, I know I'm going to see the same names on the posts here touting that they knew it all along.

Ah, the mysteries of human nature, eh?

Well, I'm also not really interested in the politics of the country and, this is certainly not the forum for discussing South African (or any other) politics, anyway.

So, I'll just say that I'm always looking for information sources and brains to pick. If you have some views on things going on there (especially, as regards the education system), and wouldn't mind sharing....

I do like your Amarula Cream Liquor and was able to buy a 750 mL bottle there for R52. It's available here but (converting to Rands) about R150 ($20).

Oops. Sorry. When you brought up 'your new government' I just thought to fill you in how I feel about our new government.
If you pay R150 for amarula cream, you may be ripped off. I haven't bought liquor in such a long time, to darn expensive, but I'm sure it's still well underneath R100. Strictly speaking, if you buy something from South Africa using dollars or pounds, you should get away better off when buying it here, just because of rand value.
Except if someone has seen some easy cash walk in through the door.
I also like penny lane strawberry, cape velvet, nachtmuzik (chocolate), kahlua (coffee).
About the last year that I was teaching, we went to a new system, and for the life of me I have forgotten what it's called. I have some notes on the whole chebang.
This was some (couple at least) years back.
Why would you be interested in SA's education system.
It received quite a bit of flack from some corners.

Turbo-charge your engine, this is going to allow your engine to harvest more energy out of your fuel. So in a sense this will provide efficiency in power/fuel ratio. Then it comes to using the power, if you floor it at every stop light, it's gonna give you more acceleration. If you step on the gas as if there is an egg between the pedal and your foot, you will achieve better fuel economy - that's about it.

No additives or anything is going to help anyone achieve better fuel economy with their already existing engines.

If anyone wants to achieve impractical fuel economy, they can toss out their dashboard, seats, spare tire, body parts, and drive in a naked chassis. Wait loss diets will also work.

Anyone remember the "tornado" on late night TV? rofl

But hang on here. the combustion of fuel is already just about the most efficient part of the ICE. With more than 90% efficiency, fuel and car makers and engineers claim it to be between 97 and 99% efficient.
Note I'm only talking the burning the fuel part.
The ICE loose all that efficiency along the way. Heat goes to waste, the whole ICE engine design is a big drag, so you end up with around 20%.
The fact of the matter is, the internal combustion engine must go.
And if it had done so around, who knows, 50 years back, we might not have been in the dilemma we find ourselves in today.
Also, turbo-charging has nothing to do with the fuel burning, but utilises the exhaust gas. I suppose you can say you end up with more power from the fuel, but not because the fuel burns poorly, but because the bloody engine operates so damn poorly.
Get what I mean.

how about this

**broken link removed**

Go to the section run100hydroxy.

This site is where I purchased my efi controller. I am still waiting to get it. He has a lot of research data here on Hydroxy/HHO. In the picture gallery he shows his circuits.

Via the above link a YouTube video (Read the comments) of a guy who built one for his S10 pickup. He hasn't seen any gas mileage improvement:
deshong08 (2 weeks ago)
That is disappointing to see no MPG improvements with two cells. Most people are claiming 5-8mph with no electronics.
sawtnutz (1 week ago)
I agree! I installed my new O2 sensor last Friday and am waiting for this tank of gas to run out. At this point no major change. Next is the Catalytic converter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYH4mfz3aBQ

Last edited:
Steering back on course....

Oops. Sorry. When you brought up 'your new government' I just thought to fill you in how I feel about our new government.

Let me vector this away from this forum with this parting comment. I'm trying to glean information about existing things there but, also attitudes about them and maybe most specifically, attitudes about outsider input. If that piques your interest at all, you can drop a line at:

crashsite55@gmail.com

But, no offense taken if it's something you'd rather not get into.

Last edited:
Turbo Props

Just a general note about sexy cars and engines. About 30 years ago the gas turbine engine hit the racing circuit (I think there were some Indi cars that used it, too). Unfortunately, due to the high internal temps, they couldn't get the NOX emissions down to acceptable levels for consumer vehicles.

Too bad. Can you imagine what the ultralight and sports plane catagoies would be like today if, instead for Rotax, Suburu and GEO engines, they were powered by turbo props?

Hey, a guy can dream....

One of the reasons I ended up here

This problem is common for some. He put two booster on and made the O2 reading lean, His efi is probably adding more fuel to correct the lean state. One booster can do the same thing. There are electronics used to offset to o2 reading and Map sensor reading as well. This is where some who have installed a unit give up they want a quick solution, or they just read part of the information. Go to water car and you will find out why this happened and how to correct the problem. You will find prints and diagrams on how to build the controllers.. I thought this might be of interest to many of you who like to debate electronics. And I know you do because you guys got off on that transistor/amplifier thingy. I have a book that I HAVE BEEN STUDYING,(not lazy) trying to learn the basics of gadgets and gizmo's ya ll call electronics.

You went right for the failure.. most great inventions or discoveries had tons of failure before success was achieved. How about Edison?

I went and watched the clip. Watch it again and listen . He said he has not hooked up the electronics(efi) "I want to see if my fuel economy gets worst". The box he has hooked up is used to turn the generators on and off and monitor volt and amps. He may not see an improvement until he installs and tunes the electronics. Need to see if he has a part three.

Last edited:
Just a general note about sexy cars and engines. About 30 years ago the gas turbine engine hit the racing circuit (I think there were some Indi cars that used it, too). Unfortunately, due to the high internal temps, they couldn't get the NOX emissions down to acceptable levels for consumer vehicles.

Too bad. Can you imagine what the ultralight and sports plane catagoies would be like today if, instead for Rotax, Suburu and GEO engines, they were powered by turbo props?

Hey, a guy can dream....

That is.
I remember somewhere in the 80's a fellow did build a car with a jet engine in it.
The thing would notoriously overheat every about 10 mins.
On the flip side, he said that he could travel quite a bit in those precious few minutes. Peak hour traffic was also a no-no.
He was eventually banned from the roads because of excessive noise, as other complained.
As stated before, turbines runs economically at constant throttle of around 90%.
Applications in practical vehicles with such engines will never happen.

You will find prints and diagrams on how to build the controllers.. I thought this might be of interest to many of you who like to debate electronics.
All they are doing there is fooling the ECU into thinking that the exhaust has the right O2 levels so it runs leaner. By running leaner, without any HHO, you will increase your gas mileage while also increasing emissions. The catalytic converter doesn't work well with the gasses emitted while running lean. As mentioned before, you may as well just chip out the ECU for a lean burn. But either way, you won't pass emissions testing if your state/province/city has such testing.
And I know you do because you guys got off on that transistor/amplifier thingy.
Amplifiers and Transistors aren't really my thing, but LEDs and resistors really get me excited!:
Leds-and-resistors MMmmmmmm ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back