Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains conducted EMC test with picoscope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IFlyback:
I can understand your stress over this product, esp. when you don't have full control of all the steps or a suite of lab grade equipment.
If your product is small...you can send it to me and I could do a pre compliance EMC on it for u, no charge. Perhaps even slap in a line filter and see how the conducted emissions do then.
I also have RF damping /absorbent foam and copper foiling for sealing the enclosure for radiated emissions.

I have done a bit of buck SMPS design/build (TL494 stuff) as well.

Edit:I use a RIGOL DSA 815 with full options and Beehive probes. Also a 3Ghz realtime Tek 694C with differential probe options. I have a range of ferrite beads, toroids etc. on hand (to address EMC) as well as a precision current transformer monitor @ 40V/A sensitivity. Also a P.Factor meter.
Also a 3Ghz Anritsu comm. analyzer with a built in full range Spec. Analyzer.(No TG)

A microwattmeter to 12.4Ghz for the higher harmonics.

Have a look at this precompliance video:

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my always cluttered lab....there is more in the gen. storage and mechanical section (Drill press, laser cutter, PCB manufacturing and table saw), this is the electronic section.
Lab-pic.jpg

Flyback:
This source of budget gear might help...
**broken link removed**

Also this link informs on the uses of the gear.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Haha, I just read this thread, and I can understand EMC frustrations. I've had my fair share.

But to think that a test house would deliberately fail someones equipment and waste their time, put their whole business's integrity on the line for one product, is crazy talk.

Hi Cicero....do u have a link to the current standards for Consumer, Commercial and Industrial gear EMC standards?

Hi Cicero....do u have a link to the current standards for Consumer, Commercial and Industrial gear EMC standards?
I have personal access to a few of them, I mainly reference CISPR22 and CISPR24. Not allowed to spread them around though unfortunately as they are licensed and all that.

Geez, What are ya trying to be Jim Williams with all that clutter? :)

**broken link removed**

Don't ya just love discrete semiconductors & thru hole parts? Remember the days in the original TV series mission impossible with hi tech single layer PCBs & metal cased transistors being used? Or even more amazing, 1st Officer Spock or Lt Uhura repairing an Enterprise Bridge console with the same type of tech...in the original TV series.

almost looked like my 1st lab in the late 70's...now where is my ferrite snubber and CM choke? Tek and HP ruled the day with tools to advance bleeding edge designs. But I wish I knew then , what I know today. Now what's all this stuff about EMI and parasitics. My fingers were calibrated tweeking tools.

Hey Flyback...enter to get this free 3Ghz DSA :
https://goemail.microlease.com/ML_RS_FSC3_Spec_An_Raffle

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Reminds me of the 100k$ demo Anritsu I had one winter in West Palm Beach setting up SATPHONE automated front end chip testing and I kept it for 6 mos until the Marketing Mgr figured out I still had it after MOT decided to can the IRIDIUM project which broke records for satellites launched per month.

The project shifted hands much later than I left C-MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back