Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic wire to define border area for robot path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately, though, I am currently taking the Udacity "CS73: Programming A Robotic Car" being taught by Sebastian Thrun (**broken link removed**), which aims to give you the skills to "Learn how to program all the major systems of a robotic car from the leader of Google and Stanford's autonomous driving teams".

It's very interesting! I enjoed the course, too! :)

It's very interesting! I enjoed the course, too! :)

Yeah - I missed the first iteration of it, but when I saw it was running again, then found it was a "self-paced" course, I decided to try it out; right now I am beginning the last programming question before the homework on unit 2. Last night it didn't make any sense to me, so I am hoping it makes better sense here in a few minutes (been procrastinating on it a bit - but hey, self-paced, right?). I think he is wanting you to implement a 1D Kalman using matrix math (as I am sure the homework is to do the same, in 2D - but I haven't checked), but it didn't seem clear to me last night.

Welp - just got past it; re-watched the video and realized that he wanted us to implement a multidimensional Kalman - not 1D. Once I understood that (and the matrix class he supplied), it was relatively straightforward to plug-n-chug the pieces in place to implement the Kalman properly. Now on to the homework...

Multidimensional Kalman filter is one of the most important tool to develop mobile robot: I remember it when I studied, this kind of filter was in a lot of exams :)

ok just a thought but, how about a remote controlled mower, the idea being you drive it around by remote once and it saves the info in memory so next time it just follows a save path all you would need is decent encoders ect on the motors. or is this a stupid idea :D

Wheel slippage is enough to make the remote idea not work.

Yep, encoders are good only if you are on a good ground, but they are not accurate if you are in a sandy terrain because wheels can slip and give bad readings.
I think the dog fence is the only suitable solution at this moment in addition to a non-randomly path.

This is a rough idea and it would take a good number of magnets.

Use rare earth magnets at the end points of each path/strip to be cut. Use an electronic compass to move from end to end.

Play with the setup to see what % overlap is needed to prevent missing grass.
This would mow east and west.

Code:
East Magnets                                                  West Magnets
---                                                                   ---
You could get fancy and use the magnets as addresses.

I was thinking about how hard drive heads know their location by address marks on the disk. One can use that same sort of idea with a lawn by encoding data using magnets. Either the space between them or the polarity.

As I said it was a rough idea. I expect it could be worked out several ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back