Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magic: The Mini-magic Switchboard should I make it a kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knife switches are cool but I do not think they go well with the illusion. The regular switches and bulbs make people think it is simple not strange.

I have seen switches with handles like a rod. One could slip caps over them but you would have to find or make the caps. Maybe heat shrink oVer a tube with a magnet sort of thing. Or maybe polyclay.

Last edited:
Or small painted wooden dowels with holes drilled in the bottoms with a magnet in them.

kchriste said:
These switches have the option of snap on caps for their K toggle switches:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/Btoggles-1.pdf
You'd need to file the bat handle a bit, or drill out the cap, to make it easier to move the colored caps around.

They would be great, do you know who stocks them. Digikey has there products but does not stock these.

I sort of missed what you were talking about on the SMD solder pads. The concept is/was new to me. I took a while but I got it. Thanks

Digikey has there products but does not stock these.
That's where I found them.... Didn't notice the non-stock issue. :eek:
Bill's idea of colored washers is looking better and better. Just choose an oversized washer that fits over the switch, paint it and drop it over the bat on a toggle switch so it settles on the mounting shaft.
I sort of missed what you were talking about on the SMD solder pads. The concept is/was new to me.
Where I used to work they used SMD jumpers on all their PCBs for rarely used options and regular 0.1" header types for more commonly used options.

Last edited:
kchriste said:
Bill's idea of colored washers is looking better and better. Just choose an oversized washer that fits over the switch, paint it and drop it over the bat on a toggle switch so it settles on the mounting shaft.
Where I used to work they used SMD jumpers on all their PCBs for rarely used options and regular 0.1" header types for more commonly used options.
I will be using the washers at least to start with.
But I do think that the removable handles are better for the illusion. It makes the prey think they are fixed to start with.

Rev 1B now uses SMD jumpers. See previous post.
Anyone who wants to do their own board should download Eagle 4.92 and print directly from it. The foil provided here should work but is not as neat.

Last edited:
wmmullaney said:
Bill, you mentioned a pic16f628a at 35 k hertz, how do you tell the pic to operate at that speed? (It is NOT in the configuration word)

According to the datasheet it's 37KHz, it's explained in the config word section.

I thought it was 48k and controlled by the PCON register. See section 4.2.2.6

Mike.

wmmullaney said:
Bill, you mentioned a pic16f628a at 35 k hertz, how do you tell the pic to operate at that speed? (It is NOT in the configuration word)

Most PICs with a programmable oscillator are 31.25kHz, I recalled the 16F628A has an odd frequency (not 31.25kHz)
It's infact like Pommie said 48KHz.
That said the current the PIC uses compared to the bulbs is trivial.

you may want to check some of the autopart stores for the toggles switches. especialy truck stops or truck accessory stores. thats the kind of switches you see in road tractors

i did a quick search and found these **broken link removed**

they have different colors, i didnt search the whole site...there may be other types on there..and just my 2 cents worth...i think the screw in bulbs add to the illusion

I think that pieces of coloured tape in front of each switch would maybe improve the illusion. Imagine the amazement when you say "go on then, move the sticky tape around".

Mike.

We've included another routine using four white bulbs and playing cards. The bulbs tell you which spectator picked each card. Instead of four playing cards you can use four different objects or product cards. Great for trade shows! The board measures 16 inches by 9 inches. Harry Anderson has used it on TV's Tonight show and The Late Late Show.

I wonder what the playing card variation trick is?

Pommie said:
I think that pieces of coloured tape in front of each switch would maybe improve the illusion. Imagine the amazement when you say "go on then, move the sticky tape around".

Mike.

ahahhaa:D
The game will become more magically :D
So for sure, the magnet has nothing to do with it;)

blueroomelectronics said:
Most PICs with a programmable oscillator are 31.25kHz, I recalled the 16F628A has an odd frequency (not 31.25kHz)
It's infact like Pommie said 48KHz.

Interesting, the datasheet I looked at said 37KHz?, perhaps it wasn't for the 'a' version?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back