Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice simulation distortion function

Status
Not open for further replies.
The formula of Phase shift oscillator is F=1/(2*pia*R*C(6+4Rc/R)) and the input impedance is R'=R3//R4 which is 2.4301 Kohm.

Your schematic has wrong values which makes it very difficult to calculate the frequency and amount of phase-shift for each RC network.
How to choose value of RC as my teacher told C the capacitor in Phase shift should be C=0.01uf or .005uf, why??

The formula of Phase shift oscillator is F=1/(2*pia*R*C(6+4Rc/R)) and the input impedance is R'=R3//R4 which is 2.4301 Kohm.
But the fairly low input resistance of the transistor (do you know how to calculate it?) is in parallel with R3 and R4. The total resistance is supposed to be the same value as R5 or R6 which is 2.9k ohms ohms.

How to choose value of RC as my teacher told C the capacitor in Phase shift should be C=0.01uf or .005uf, why??
There are many phase-shift oscillator tutorials in Google and they all show the calculation for the frequency.
Maybe your teacher forgot that the transistor has a fairly low input resistance (do you know how to calculate it?).

The first link in Google shows a resistor in series with the base of the transistor to increase the total load resistance for the 3rd phase-shift capacitor.

Another link in google uses a darlington transistor that has a very high input resistance then the load for the 3rd phase-shift capacitor is calculated with the resistor values.

Attachments

• transistor phase-shift oscillator2.PNG
    transistor phase-shift oscillator2.PNG
    120.7 KB · Views: 496
  • transistor phase-shift oscillator.PNG
    transistor phase-shift oscillator.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 888
Last edited:
But the fairly low input resistance of the transistor (do you know how to calculate it?) is in parallel with R3 and R4. The total resistance is supposed to be the same value as R5 or R6 which is 2.9k ohms ohms.

I/P impedance is R' = R1//R2//Beta*Re i think it it the formula.

The input impedance of the transistor is about 1.3k ohms and is in parallel with the 2.4k of the resistors then the total resistance is only 843 ohms. It is supposed to be 2.9k ohms.

I used a 2N3904 transistor that has a typical beta of about 150. In your phase-shift oscillator circuit its collector current is about 3mA and its Re is 0.026/3mA= 8.67 ohms. Its emitter resistor has a bypass capacitor so it does not enter the calculation for input impedance.
Then its input impedance is typically 150 x 8.67= 1.3k ohms.

The datasheet for the 2N3904 transistor has a graph showing its typical input impedance at different currents which shows a typical input impedance of 1.3k ohms at 3mA collector current.

Attachments

• phase-shift oscillator7.PNG
    phase-shift oscillator7.PNG
    35.1 KB · Views: 499
As for calculating single phase shift from one RC network, the formula is angle* =Tan-1(1/Omega*C*R).
Pls. tell in how to choose value correctly for phase shift.

Eg: if 90* is required then c or r should be = 0 or zero

As for calculating single phase shift from one RC network, the formula is angle* =Tan-1(1/Omega*C*R).
Pls. tell in how to choose value correctly for phase shift.

Eg: if 90* is required then c or r should be = 0 or zero

hi Ritesh
You dont need 90deg per pole [ R/C] as you have 3 poles, so you need 60deg phase shift/pole to give 180deg total and the transistor gives another 180deg shift.

So the overall phase shift is 360deg and is what you need for oscillation to occur.

The transistor also provides gain in order to compensate for the attenuation in the 3 poles. OK

You dont need 90deg per pole [ R/C] as you have 3 poles, so you need 60deg phase shift/pole to give 180deg total and the transistor gives another 180deg shift.

Yaa, I know but i was asking how to calculate it for 60degree shift.
I want to learn this in deep.

1) An oscillator needs a total of 360 degrees phase shift.
2) The transistor has a 180 degrees phase shift.
3) Therefore the total phase shift of the phase-shift parts must be 360 - 180= 180 degrees.
4) Simple arithmatic calculates the phase shift of each of the phase shift RC parts to be 180 degrees/3= 60 degrees each.

1) An oscillator needs a total of 360 degrees phase shift.
2) The transistor has a 180 degrees phase shift.
3) Therefore the total phase shift of the phase-shift parts must be 360 - 180= 180 degrees.
4) Simple arithmatic calculates the phase shift of each of the phase shift RC parts to be 180 degrees/3= 60 degrees each.

I know this,
i am asking as angle* =Tan-1(1/Omega*C*R)., Omega=2*pia*F
how to get these value of F,C,R??

Is F is the required freq.??

The frequency in the formula is f, not F.
The formula uses pi, not pia.

The formula for calculating the parts is in hundreds of articles about phase-shift oscillators that are found in Google.

Hi, see this I find in Google.
Use the program to design the transistor with a total input impedance of 2.9k ohms and a gain of 30 or almost 30dB. Then the transistor can be used in your phase-shift oscillator circuit and watch its output rise to clipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back