Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low-profile offline power modules that operate down to minus 55degC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
Do you know, are there any of these “low-profile” type offline SMPS’s which can run down to minus 55 degrees Centigrade? The one below is for vout=24V, and 400W. (PFM4414VB6M24D0T00)
Do you know the name of manufacturers of anything similar to this one?..
PFM4414 datasheet:
**broken link removed**

Vicor's Maxi-Mini-Micro line and their VI chips go down to -55C. I think Synqor has some. Also RO. Maybe Lambda and XP-Power, but not what they're known for.

ak

Do you know, are there any of these “low-profile” type offline SMPS’s which can run down to minus 55 degrees Centigrade?
I started to work on a project with this supply but it got canceled.
The off line module I used requires a large amount of capacitance on the outside. There are -55C caps but not lower. I think (could be wrong) that the switcher will work but the ripple voltage goes up at low temp.

We had to build switchers guaranteed to work at -55C. The semiconductors don't care, the caps had big problems because we had to use some kind of electrolytic and their ESR goes through the roof when cold. The caps would self heat from switching ripple and EVENTUALLY warm up enough to get the ESR down so the ripple would come back in spec. If you ran the units and lowered the temp to -55, no problem. Leave it off and stabilize it at -55 and then try to start it, BIG problem because of cap ESR. We ended up havin to get special type tantalum caps screened by Sprague and a signed waiver from the procurement officer to get it to fly

Hello,
Do you know, are there any of these “low-profile” type offline SMPS’s which can run down to minus 55 degrees Centigrade? The one below is for vout=24V, and 400W.
400W I doubt it because they need electrolytic caps. If it was a lower power switcher that could use ceramics you could do it because their ESR does not skyrocket at cold temps. If you could get the cap makers to screen their parts to give guarateed limits on ESR at -55, no sweat. There may be some ultra low ESR Tantalums available (?)

If you've got the surface area, you can pile on multi-layer ceramics for the input and output filters. Some new parts already are double-stacked for better density.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back