Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for an SOIC socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lieutenantdan

I have a PCB that is the test vehicle for an IC that is of SO-8 package. There's an SO-8 footprint on the PCB and you can solder the IC directly onto that footprint. Besides that, the PCB offers an alternative way for mounting the IC. It appears to be some kind of test socket that you can solder onto the PCB because there's a mounting hole half an inch removed from each corner of the SO-8 footprint. Shape of solder mask around the footprint also suggests such a test socket. However, other than the four mounting holes and the SO-8 footprint itself, there's no other holes nearby for the pins of a typical SO-8 test socket. It appears that the special test socket works by pressing the IC down directly against the SO-8 footprint on the board. Does anyone know what this special test socket might be called? Who makes such sockets? Any help is appreciated!

I recommend flow solder on the PC pads to rest the SOIC pins on, using a clip such as a disc battery holder to retain the SOIC IC pins to the PCB. Most test probes will reach the SOIC pins without interference.

I have a PCB that is the test vehicle for an IC that is of SO-8 package. There's an SO-8 footprint on the PCB and you can solder the IC directly onto that footprint. Besides that, the PCB offers an alternative way for mounting the IC. It appears to be some kind of test socket that you can solder onto the PCB because there's a mounting hole half an inch removed from each corner of the SO-8 footprint. Shape of solder mask around the footprint also suggests such a test socket. However, other than the four mounting holes and the SO-8 footprint itself, there's no other holes nearby for the pins of a typical SO-8 test socket. It appears that the special test socket works by pressing the IC down directly against the SO-8 footprint on the board. Does anyone know what this special test socket might be called? Who makes such sockets? Any help is appreciated!
Please post a photo of your PCB.

It appears that the special test socket works by pressing the IC down directly against the SO-8 footprint on the board.
I've never seen anything like that?

Either of these look like they could be used with the existing footprint:

All the bigger / heavier duty ones I can find are through hole mounting.

The first one above looks like it could be used with a separate toggle clamp type hold down for the IC rather than the wire spring, for fast access?

Maybe you mean a ZIF socket (zero insertion force) ?

Clipboard01.jpg

I really appreciate all the replies. See the attached image. The four big plated-through holes plus the two smaller NPT holes (upper left and lower right corners) seem to be reserved for the test socket I mentioned. The two yellow areas without the blue solder mask also suggest the same. There's no holes around the SO-8 footprint for a commonly seen SO-8 test socket. That's why I suspect that the "test socket" is a retention mechanism that simply presses the IC package against the footprint.

Attachments

• SO8.jpg
    SO8.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 182

Attachments

• 989750005-40.jpg
    989750005-40.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips