Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a sheet that resists

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot, "and a desire to prolong the conversation"

Costs and neatness have been my main reasons for looking for alternatives.

Ah! And, your reasons for avoiding learning any electrical theory or computer programming or doing any experimentation would be....?

Ah! And, your reasons for avoiding learning any electrical theory or computer programming or doing any experimentation would be....?

I don't have any reasons. I'm just not doing it on this site as much as I'd like to.

Far from being, "recreational" or "artistic", when a thread gets as far off topic as this one has, it's almost always a sign of the forum equivalent of twiddling one's thumbs to alleviate boredom.

There's no response to your question that makes any sense. It's like asking, "how high is, up?".

Silkscreened carbon composite on an epoxy laminate...definitely.

Sounds like a lead. Where did you learn about it?

You're talking about things that happen at UHF and microwave frequencies when you still haven't figured out DC theory. What answer or explanation would you be able to understand?

Whether AC waves travel through materials as a function of distance or time.

Resistance isn't "dampened". It's just there. Dampening is accomplished by other circuit actions.

I know. I'd like to learn about electrical patterns that might result from disturbing AC current flowing through a sheet - as distinguished from a wire or a solid. Pictorial representations would be nice.

Isn’t there a database of resistive properties of materials in sheets out there somewhere?

Isn’t there a database of resistive properties of materials in sheets out there somewhere?

You could go through all of Edison's patents on the Light bulb. I'm told he test about 2,000 or so fibers and resistive materials to gain our Contemporary carbon-filament bulb of today.

wiki at the top of the page

carbon-fiber

kv:)

You could go through all of Edison's patents on the Light bulb. I'm told he test about 2,000 or so fibers and resistive materials to gain our Contemporary carbon-filament bulb of today.

wiki at the top of the page

carbon-fiber

Is it known if and why he selected those 2,000 fibers? When I think of filaments I think of a think cylindrical- or helical-shaped material. I am looking for something in the form of a sheet. When I think of a light bulb, I also think of something that is much smaller than my game board. How much did the structure of the filaments effect the output and any resistance that the filaments might have had? Are light bulbs like resistors that produce light instead of heat? Are there resistors that I could use without having to worry about the type of resistive materials that I'm interested in producing too much light or heat? At what distances could the sources of 3, 5, or 9 volts be applied to - and at what distances could the sources of 3, 5, or 9 volts be moved on, the filaments and result in a resistance that would be measurable with an inexpensive/insensitive meter. I would like to be able to measure changes in distances of the sources between zero and one and half feet when the original sources where applied at a distance between zero and one and a half feet, resulting in a maximum distance of one and a half feet, and this is why I would be interested in the filaments or any other material in the form of a sheet that I could use.

I may not be thinking about this in an accurate way, but why does AC produce wave and not rectangular patterns? Maybe this particular question should be grouped with those about theory, but if the electrons are travelling in one direction and then another in AC, how can they switch directions producing a wave pattern multiple times through a conductor?

What are the structural causes of resistance?

You asked this question in one of your very first posts a long LONG time ago and I gave you a very detailed answer. Remember all that stuff about valence bands and conduction bands in insulators, conductors, and semi conductors?

why does AC produce wave and not rectangular patterns?
Why does a vibrating spring or swinging pendelum not instantly teleport between it's two end points of motion? If you don't understand this, you don't understand basic oscillatory motion.

why does AC produce wave and not rectangular patterns? Maybe this particular question should be grouped with those about theory, but if the electrons are travelling in one direction and then another in AC, how can they switch directions producing a wave pattern multiple times through a conductor?
Oscillation of particles in a medium and wave propogation in the medium are not the same thing
lwave-gif.30166

Actually, I believe that there are those here who think my doggedness with the "sound propagation" posts may be this kind of endless, pestering thread

Yes, as far as I am concerned, this thread and that thread are identical in nature. You are trying to make a car with square wheels and you are so in love with the idea of square wheels that you can't see the VERY simple and fundamental reasons why it won't work. In your attempts to come up with a solution, you are doing nothing more than adding lots of layers on top of the fundamental problem to make it less obvious when thinking about it.

Attachments

• Lwave.gif
    Lwave.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Is it known if and why he selected those 2,000 fibers? I am looking for something in the form of a sheet.

Bejesus, rhetorical questions like the "woven carbon mat" in the wiki pages ! Your so obvious your ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Torben said:
P.S. I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but they just look so hungry. . .

I'm guilty !:eek:

I was waiting for my wife's flight to come in. I was saddened when the farting monkey fizzled again after tcm tried to kick start it.:p

Last edited:
Reconciliation IS Needed

Yes, as far as I am concerned, this thread and that thread are identical in nature. You are trying to make a car with square wheels and you are so in love with the idea of square wheels that you can't see the VERY simple and fundamental reasons why it won't work. In your attempts to come up with a solution, you are doing nothing more than adding lots of layers on top of the fundamental problem to make it less obvious when thinking about it.

It's different. Jasonbe is obviously (and overtly) NOT looking for the answer (or, indeed, ANY answer). He says it best, himself:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashsite

Response:

I don't have any reasons. I'm just not doing it on this site as much as I'd like to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Since everybody seems to be enamored with waves as the way to explain sound propagation (your little thumb link does it again as does your Jello analogy), I figure that must be the way it works. But, I think about it and just can't reconcile the thermal effect with waves and the notion of the interchange of potential and kinetic energy. I just can't make it work. I'm told that it's well understood and I see the thermal effect mentioned in descriptions but, not explained (at least in a way that makes sense to me). It's addressed in the formulas and the terms are there to make the resulting quantative result come out right but, that only means that the formulas take it into consideration.

I suppose I could just shrug my shoulders and submit but...that's just not my nature.

It's like word processors. From the first time I ever used a word processor, I knew it wasn't being done "right". The codes of, Wordstar (and others of the era) were awkward. WordPerfect for DOS was better but, was still fraught with codes and WordPerfect for Windows was better but, still failed to give the "true" writing experience. Microsoft's Word is even better and more natural but, damnit...it still isn't close to being, "right". So, we muck along, adapting our methodology to its whims. That's the way I feel about sound propagation. It doesn't feel, "right". It feels like it's been fudged into a workable model.

But, with word processors, I don't really have a problem "submitting" to the whims of the programmers that wrote the app. That's because I realize that it's not real. It's merely a conceptual version of what the programmers thought would be a good way to do it within the scope of the existing computer technology. But, sound propagation is real and it needs to feel like the real answer.

Last edited:
If I wanted to do this I'd probably look into some existing optical glyph tracking software, which can be obtained as free source code, or possibly using a second hand tablet pad, and making peices that take turns activating, using a coil like that in the pens of said tablets, to give their position. But I think we left the realm of exploring ways to actually do this a while ago.

meanwhile, on a homemaking forum:
"I want to make a very delicious pie, but I dont want to use peaches, apples, berrys or any other 'fruit' or nuts, or sugar, or any kind of flour. I don't know how to use an oven, and I don't intend to learn. I'm not quite sure what a pie is, but I would like to make one larger than say, a kiddie pool, and which can be lifted by a individual person. It should be able to serve 200, and not need to be cut up. By the way I don't enjoy eating pie."

Last edited:
Oh, Lonesome me (Hank Williams)

meanwhile, on a homemaking forum:
"I want to make a very delicious pie, but I dont want to use peaches, apples, berrys or any other 'fruit' or nuts, or sugar, or any kind of flour. I don't know how to use an oven, and I don't intend to learn. I'm not quite sure what a pie is, but I would like to make one larger than say, a kiddie pool, and which can be lifted by a individual person. It should be able to serve 200, and not need to be cut up. By the way I don't enjoy eating pie."

...and, your point is?

Meanwhile, on the PsychoAnalistCourch.com forum:

I'm lonely and have no friends and really no skills for making friends but, I desparately want some social interaction. Fortunately, I've discovered the internet and something called, "forums". There I can try to endlessly draw people into interacting with me by coming up with a ruse where they feel like they can be benevolent by assisting me with some imaginary problem I am having. I could have chosen just about any forum but, I've settled on one called the, ElectroTechOnline forum mostly because the denizens there seem inclined to seriously want to help me. Of course, as I expected, eventually even those nice folks began to question my true motives and have begun a sub-topic of psychoanalyzing me. Wow! I get a two-fer. I not only get to grovel for pity for being technical inept, I also get to be pitied for being so needy as a human being. Yea, me!!! He he he...what those dopes don't know is that their forum is not the only one I'm doing this on....

Last edited:
I think he figured us out! :eek:

Now the forums going to crash!:(

I would still like some pie though. :)

Last edited:
I know of a sheet that resists, the one my wife rolls up in when shes not in the mood, it resists more when I get close to certain areas, and it definitly tells me where I stand with very little uncertainty.

I know of a sheet that resists, the one my wife rolls up in when shes not in the mood, it resists more when I get close to certain areas, and it definitly tells me where I stand with very little uncertainty.

Nonono, you're doing the same thing he is doing. It's your wife that is resisting and is telling you were you stand. In your failure to understand why she is ever not in the mood, you are producing sheets between her and yourself to cloud the fundamental issue at hand into a form that you can more easily accept, but is still flawed as the fundamental issue remains unchanged.

Last edited:
Nonono, you're doing the same thing he is doing. It's your wife that is resisting and is telling you were you stand. In your failure to understand why she is ever not in the mood, you are producing sheets between her and yourself to cloud the fundamental issue at hand into a form that you can more easily accept, but is still flawed as the fundamental issue remains unchanged.

Let me get this straight.

Failure to understand fundamental issue x The resistance of your wife = The amount of Sheets between you and her.

or is it the amount of sheets between you and her > = Your failure to understand the fundamental issue's ÷ her resistance.

or maybe........ never mind.

I'm confused.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back