Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a Linux version of a RS232 to Telnet server like TCPCOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bill,

I've used ser2net with good success. It's easy to set up and just works, at least for me. So far I've used it on a Ubuntu Feisty desktop and a Debian Sarge embedded ARM chip and had no trouble.

Some info: https://directory.fsf.org/ser2net.html

The man page: https://linux.die.net/man/8/ser2net

If you're running Debian,
Code:
apt-get install ser2net
should get it installed for you.

Hm. It does occur to me that I don't think I've used ser2net to establish a connection from the serial port out through the network--just inbound (i.e. a remote client connects to a TCP port on my ARM box, which then sends the connection to a serial port). So that's the only behaviour I can vouch for. :)

Hope this helps,

Torben

If I'm understanding correctly, and all you want to do is read/write to the serial port from your own programmes, then all you need to do is open the device file and use it directly (if that's not what you're trying to do then I appologise in advance!).

On the command line you can do things like echo "foo" > /dev/ttyS0
This can be great for working with scripting languages like BASH script.
There is also a command for altering the port settings; can't quite remember, but it's called something like setty.

If you're writing in C (or any other language for that matter) you just do something like fd = open("/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR)
You use ioctl() for changing the port settings.

Of course, you can also point a terminal emulator programme like minicom at the serial port and use it interactively.

<EDIT... and now I've replied to a ten-year-old thread. :banghead::banghead::banghead:>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back