Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a two-fold thread.

First, specifically, I'm looking for a ribbon cable with a 1x16 connector on 0.1" centers, instead of a 2xN connector on 0.1" centers. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Second, more generally speaking, where do you go to find if parts exist? I'm looked under all the rocks I know of, but can't come remotely close.

I tend to use distributor sites like Digikey and Mouser which have parametric searches. If I don't find anything there then I go to a site like Samtec, which often allows you to configure a cable based on certain specifications, and it spits out a part number.

I would guess that such a cable would be hard to come by, as any typical ribbon cable has the wires 0.05" apart, making it very hard to align 16 strands with a 0.1" connector.
You could maybe use a 32 pin cable and not use one row of the connector, if that would be mechanically possible (i have no idea whether this is a new design or you are trying to find a cable for something that already exists).

As for whether parts exist, that is usually lots of googling and crawling catalogs, unles I specifically know what I am looking for and how it is called or how it can be found.

Elecrow has these jumpers in up to 10 pins. You could use 2 eight pin cables to get the 16 pins you need. These jumpers are 200mm in length and 70 cents a piece.

SmartSelectImage_2017-03-05-17-20-57.png

Elecrow has these jumpers in up to 10 pins. You could use 2 eight pin cables to get the 16 pins you need. These jumpers are 200mm in length and 70 cents a piece.

View attachment 104760

I can make it, I was pondering the idea that it would look better, work better as a ribbon cable. But now I'm not so sure. I found this **broken link removed** at All Electronics. Looking at it further, it looks kind of stiff. So maybe it isn't a good idea. (not to mention it is the wrong gender).

ribbon cable with a 1x16 connector on 0.1" centers
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0082286161/WM4633-ND/404127
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...r-corporation/82-24-5916/82-24-5916-ND/404011
Here are 4 places to start. Digikey does not have any in stock. But you can get the part number and search some where different.
Try getting 20 conductor and removing 4 wires.
I can find it in 1 ft lengths. I have some from years ago. (10 conductor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back