Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Location or lack of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK thanks Jay - I didn't realise there were so many of these types of questions. I can now see why you might want people to fill in their location field, or maybe just say where they live when it is relevant (as a compromise :) cos I'm rubbish at admitting I'm wrong.... ).

:lol:

Mikey

roboticmisinfo said:
Clears up things such as... ?

Well in america we see things different and some people from other countrys thinks it is imposible because they live in a non diverse country and in our country we see things that you guys would never believe.

So that is why it clears up some things

Well it's true

Most of the crazyest stuff happens in america and you live in the whitest place in the world so I can understand youre sarcasim.

You've never been to Bradford or London then? By "diverse country" I assume you mean race-wise? I'd say the UK is now possibly biggest "multi-cultural" country in Europe. Down my street there are several asian families, and also many single male African & Eastern European guys. There is a mosque around the corner, and a catholic church opposite. There is a corner shop owned by 6 guys (I'm not sure where they are from - Middle East looking) There is also a small Russian community next to the park. I could go on all night but I've got to sleep. It's 1 in the morning here.

BYE

Well I live in san fransisco the most diverse city in the world and in california the most diverse state in the US.

roboticmisinfo said:
Yeah :lol: except they're called cheerios over here, not "Froot Loops".

We have Froot Loops (or is it Fruit Loops here???) in the states. I've had a chance to live in Ireland for two months, and it was different, but not in a foreign, akward sense. (note that the trip was split over two one month stays in a period of 5 years....)

Overall it was a great experience, and when I have enough money (yeah, right) I'll buy a second home there.

I think I'm too old to be a prodigy of any kind, but who knows?

And to relate to the thread title, I filled in my location a few weeks ago. I realized what kind of confusion it caused and figured it wasn't a problem. My parents are a bit over-protective at times though. :lol:

theinfamousbob said:
We have Froot Loops (or is it Fruit Loops here???) in the states. I've had a chance to live in Ireland for two months, and it was different, but not in a foreign, akward sense. (note that the trip was split over two one month stays in a period of 5 years....)

The irish are definately 'different' - all the funny stories about them are true :lol:

This isn't due to any lack of intelligence or anything, I suspect it's due the fact they tend to be permanently drunk!.

I spent a LOT of time with a number of Irish people at my local pub (which they have knocked down now), lovely people - but don't ever try to keep up with their drinking habits!. The four main guys were, Shamus, Shaum, Shamus and Alan - it was like a comedy act :lol:

I know this is off topic but america's newest and biggest aircraft carrier the USS Ronald Regan pulled into Brisbane and got disabled by a jellyfish.
Just think that a 5 billion dollar 95,000 tonne ship can be disabled by a simple no boned organism. And who said the Irish were Dumb :shock:

Okay, I suggest a listbox for contry name and a text box for city name. And make the list box a required field.

then add the
Code:
location = if !empty(textbox.value+", ")+listbox entry

So it would appear like "Ahmedabad, India". or simply "India" if the textbox is left blank.

Now it is a rearer possiblility that someone would enter a wrong country name.... People are patriotic. :)

Some of the rubbish that people have written are like "Right behind you" and "In front of the computer".

My most wierd location in a forum was something like "12°25' N 65°35'E" :D

how about using a script that geocode's the person's IP when they sign up, and just publishes what country or geographic region they are from.

for example my IP geocodes to North America, then to USA, then to Michigan, then to Traverse City ... sometimes the geocode isn't that accurate or detailed, so sticking with Country or geographic region would still be great, giving us a clue as to where someone's located. As an example of accuracy, the geocode of Traverse City isn't accurate in my example, my IP may originate there, but I certainly dont, not even close.

Maybe a simple script put into the forum where if a location isn't inserted the posts are automatically deleted. This would cure the problem of no location but I'd reckon we'll see some wierd locations

When I key my address into Google's Earth satellite pictures program, it zooms into a pic of my neighbor's house, because my street is curved and a couple of numbers are missing.
It shows my old car that I traded in. My new car is shown in the driveway of my daughter's house.
Some of its small-area pics are new and others are old.

well that's not too bad ... google used to put my house just off shore of the nearby lake, however, it appears they've corrected it now.

however, the sat photo now appears to be blurred, intentionally or otherwise, I'll never know. I used to be able to make out streets, but not street-level details like cars. now I can't even make out the streets or even major roads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back