Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM7805 in Eagle PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer

Anyone know where I can get a LM7805 regulator for eagle PCB? I can't seem to find a library file on their site or on google for it.

Also, what capacitors should I put + to GND either side of the regulator? 10nF? ceramic? which ones!?!?

It all depends on the package or footprint of the 7805 that you are physically going to use, the most common is the TO-220 (kinda big with a metal tab with a large hole drilled in it sticking out of the top).
**broken link removed**

a ceramic cap should work.

computer said:
Anyone know where I can get a LM7805 regulator for eagle PCB? I can't seem to find a library file on their site or on google for it.

Also, what capacitors should I put + to GND either side of the regulator? 10nF? ceramic? which ones!?!?

Get a data sheet for any generic 7805, many companies make them and they're all pretty much the same. Look at the packages they come in, TO-220, DPAk, SOT-23 (I think that one is right...) and pick the package that you want to use. TO-220 is the only through hole package I know of off the top of my head for the 7805. Once you pick the package, make a new part and select its PCB footprint (I assume this is how you do it in Eagle).

There should also be a reference design in there showing what cap values should be used. Keep in mind that the reference design is flexable and may be changed due to other factors such as ripple/noise on your input line and how quickly current is demanded from your load etc.

Hi,

I managed to find the LM7805 I needed when I searched for "regulator" and looked through all the results - strange way of searching when it won't find it when I try LM, 7805, LM7805, etc.

I'm now looking for a piezo and LDR.

The circuit is a simple PIC circuit and all the diagrams I hav eseen show the LM with a 10nF nonpolarised cap from +V to GND either side of the regulation.

Can't help you with the peizo much, try www.digikey.com if you havn't already. I like their search engine.

National semi has a nice power supply part builder too, www.national.com (I'm assuming LDR is Low Drop Regulator but I'm not certain...)

computer said:
Hi,

I managed to find the LM7805 I needed when I searched for "regulator" and looked through all the results - strange way of searching when it won't find it when I try LM, 7805, LM7805, etc.

I'm now looking for a piezo and LDR.

The circuit is a simple PIC circuit and all the diagrams I hav eseen show the LM with a 10nF nonpolarised cap from +V to GND either side of the regulation.
Yeah you have to saerch by part name , not number even though they list it by number..
thats just the way it works. :roll:

oh duh... he's talking about footprints for parts. I had it in my head that he was looking for parts that he could use :p Silly me

When all else fails, break out the calipers and create a new package in your library. I've had to create footprints for lots of odd components throughout the years. It's easy to do, ya just need to have good calipers.

0x34

How To

Is there a very simple how to written that will guide me to make my own symbols and packages with eagle

Thanks

It’s easy:
1) In the BOARD editor, select LIBRARY from the menu, then select OPEN.
2) An open dialog will appear, listing all the PARTS LIBRARIES.
I’d recommend creating your own custom library for your own parts at this point. You can do that from this OPEN dialog by selecting the CREATE NEW FOLDER” icon in the menu bar.
3) Select the library you want the new part in and press OPEN.
The LIBRARY editor window opens.
4) On the left side of the screen, there is an icon with a picture of a gate and an IC on it. If you hover your mouse pointer over it, it is called EDIT. Click it.
5) A part selector dialog opens. At the bottom, type in the name of the new part you want to create in the NEW window. Then press PAC (you will be creating a new package for board layout purposes). Then press OK. A confirm dialog will appear. Press OK.
6) The part editor window is now open. Create your part using the same tools used to layout a board. Use the scale to get your measurements right as you set PAD locations and diameters. Make sure you use your layers correctly.
ABOVE ALL – Confirm your measurements are correct! Use good calipers or have the component’s specification PDF handy! You can print your board in 1:1 aspect and confirm your pins line up.
7) When you’re done, press SAVE. Close the library editor window. Your new part will be waiting for you in the part library you put it in.

That’s it! Happy creating!
0x34

Hi 0x34;

Thanks for the start; I was able to make the schematic symbol fine and save it. Now I a am trying to make the package but I do not quite understand the scaling.

How do I go about setting the scale to build a package that measure 40mm wide by 55.5mm long. With 4 round pads 1mm in dia located 2.54mm apart and the first one position 27.05mm from one end of the outline and the center line of the pad position .5mm from the edge of the outline.

I am also looking at this page:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back