Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM741 versus LM386

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key

Can anyone tell me whatz the benefit of LM386 more than LM741.

I heard rumours around saying that LM386 is more powerfull than LM741.
But i doesn't get to the point of what pros that LM386 compare to LM741.
Sorry to say that im new here and im new in electronic world.

Please do some comment here to understand me.

Thanks
Key

Read **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**

Compare the various specs. If you have questions after reading the data sheets, write back.

Last edited:
Read **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**

Compare the various specs. If you have questions after reading the data sheets, write back.

One of you links is for charging batteries???

The LM741 is an op amp. The LM386 is not an op amp, it is an audio power amp.

One of you links is for charging batteries???

The LM741 is an op amp. The LM386 is not an op amp, it is an audio power amp.
I'm just as dyslexic as the OP. I knew he meant the LM358. I fixed the link.

It is not clear on the datasheet for the lousy old LM358 dual opamp and the LM324 quad opamp is that the max frequency where the output is at the maximum p-p voltage is only 1kHz to 2kHz. The lousy old LM741 goes up to 9kHz. Both are very noisy (hissss). Modern opamps that cost the same are low noise and go up to 100kHz.

The LM358 and LM324 are low power so they have 3% of crossover distortion.

What is modern ? Whats a modern general purpose opamp ?
I use the MC33171 single, MC33172 dual and MC33174 quad opamps to replace the lousy old LM358 and LM324.
They have exactly the same low supply current but do not have any crossover distortion and have a full output swing to 35kHz. They work from a supply as low as 3V the same as the lousy ones.
I use the MC34071 single, MC34072 dual and MC34074 quad opamps that are the same as the other MC opamps except their supply current is normal and their full output swing gos to 100kHz.

I use TL071 and OPA134 single, TL072 and OPA2134 dual and TL074 and OPA4134 quad low noise opamps. The OPA opamps have distortion of only 0.00008% and are very low noise.
The TLE2141, TLE2142 and TLE2144 are also good opamps.

I'm just as dyslexic as the OP. I knew he meant the LM358. I fixed the link.

I am not so sure the OP meant 358, he did state lm386 several times, and I think many peeps confuse the LM386 with an op amp as they both have a similar schema symbol.

Last edited:
huh!!!
I was asking LM386 versus LM741.
How come become LM358?
Izit the same power amplifier?

huh!!!
I was asking LM386 versus LM741.
How come become LM358?
Izit the same power amplifier?

Like I said lm386 is not same type of amp as 741. 386 is not an op amp. They just have same symbols. Confusing I suppose.

I am not so sure the OP meant 358, he did state lm386 several times, and I think many peeps confuse the LM386 with an op amp as they both have a similar schema symbol.

I was reading this too, thinking "why is everyone talking about 358s?" But seeing as how I used to get them confused all the time, I wonder (like MikeMI) whether that's what the poster meant. . .but I agree, the OP did say 386 more than once. There was also a time when I didn't understand the difference between an op amp and a power amp. :)

I guess if the question is "Which is better, a 386 or a 741?" the answer is "yes". ;)

Torben

I guess if the question is "Which is better, a 386 or a 741?" the answer is "yes". ;)

If I understand what you are saying, each part has it's purpose. One is best suited for one job while other is best suited for something else. As far as the 741 being the best Op amp, I have to say, see AG's post above. The op amp is somewhat hard to explain I think. It is much more versatile than a LM386 which has limited uses. An op amp is a high gain differential amp that can be configured in a myriad of ways, yet most op amps do not have the current drive of a LM386 as in a audio amp.

If I understand what you are saying, each part has it's purpose. One is best suited for one job while other is best suited for something else. As far as the 741 being the best Op amp, I have to say, see AG's post above. The op amp is somewhat hard to explain I think. It is much more versatile than a LM386 which has limited uses. An op amp is a high gain differential amp that can be configured in a myriad of ways, yet most op amps do not have the current drive of a LM386 as in a audio amp.

Exactly. :)

Q: "Is the LM386 better than the LM741? I want to build a headphone amplifier."
A: "Yes."

Q: "Is the LM741 better than the LM386? I want to build a light level meter."
A: "Yes."

(Though you could probably contrive either to work in the other application.)

Torben

I don't know why, but I have this nagging feeling that the thunder of AG is soon to hit me... :)

I better fly south... hehe

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I have this nagging feeling that the thunder of AG is soon to hit me... :)

I better fly south... hehe
Why would anybody want to use an LM386 little power amplifier?
Its output power is a puny 0.4W like a cheap clock radio.

In "the good old days" I made little amplified speakers (the days before pc speakers were made) with 5.2W at clipping into a 4 ohm speaker when powered from 6 Ni-Cad cells (7.2V supply).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back