Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM3914 - question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for one more time ;)

A general question now..

lets say that we have 10 led in lm3914
We have select it to use it in dot mode and in step of 0.5 volts
0v= zero led
0.5v= 1st led open
1v = 1st led turns off and the second led goes on ...

Lets say now that we want to inspect 0,5v 1,5v 4v and 5 volt
For that we would use the 1st, 3d,8th and 10th led and we would not connect any leds to other pins of lm3914
But in this way when have 2volts input the led for 1,5v will go off until the 4v come and lm opens the 8th led..

can we made this in order to have always the led on before the next step we want to inspect??

i think that it can be done but i am not sure if i have to place a diode to the pins in order not damage the lm3914

Attachments

• leds lm3914.jpg
    leds lm3914.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 580
hi,
You can connect as per your drawing, but you will a slight dimming of the LED's as they step from one pin output to the next,,, try it.

:( :(

Sorry ! but for one more time i need your help
I had the last guage that working from 15k to 150k
it is cylinder temp gauge.. at 15k give 600 F temperature and in 150k gives the 100F temperature

i try to simulate it in the previous schematics in LTspice but is working in very low voltages volts

this sender dont work with ground.. takes the +12v and returns it back to the gauge through the resistance ...

:( :(

''oliver'' here :p :p

You are my man Mr Ericqibbs ;)

without you i still will working to figure out howo i would do all this projects ;)

The problem with my tries to find a solution to the last gauge settings based on the schematics in Ltspice i had from you, was that all the time , what ever i made.. changing values of the resistances i could achieve only a very short change of volts... (i dont know how to explain this in english... cant remember the words :p )

from 15k to 150k i had 4,97 to 4,96 range of change

You are my man Mr Ericqibbs ;)

without you i still will working to figure out howo i would do all this projects ;)

The problem with my tries to find a solution to the last gauge settings based on the schematics in Ltspice i had from you, was that all the time , what ever i made.. changing values of the resistances i could achieve only a very short change of volts... (i dont know how to explain this in english... cant remember the words :p )

from 15k to 150k i had 4,97 to 4,96 range of change

hi,
I suspect that the cylinder sensor is a thermistor.??
If so, the change in resistance versus temperature will not be linear.

Is it possible that you could check some values at 100F to 600F in 50F or 100F steps.??

The change in battery voltage [to the sensor] has to be corrected for in the amplifiers.

Last edited:
hi,
I suspect that the cylinder sensor is a thermistor.??

I am not sure... but i think that normaly must be thermistor

If so, the change in resistance versus temperature will not be linear.

yes it isnt

Is it possible that you could check some values at 100F to 600F in 50F or 100F steps.??

The change in battery voltage [to the sensor] has to be corrected for in the amplifiers.

Based in gauge readings depending from resistances i placed we have :

600F = 15k
550F = 17k
500F = 19k
450F = 20k
400F = 23k
350F = 27k
300F = 37k
250F = 40k
200F = 52k
150F = 70k
100F = 150k

hi,
Those readings are non linear, it looks like a thermistor.
I will relook at the design.

EDIT:
Look at this plot, I have dropped the 150K/100F in order to expand the plot.

I think the 300F/37K is incorrect in your table..I make it 33K

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I get a better trimer more accurate and i have

resistance K = Fahrenheit

15=600
16=550
18=500
20=450
23=400
25=350
30=300
37=250
47=200
67-70 = 150
110=100

for more accurate readings i will use 2lm3914 here also as the previous temp gauge

I get a better trimer more accurate and i have

resistance K = Fahrenheit

15=600
16=550
18=500
20=450
23=400
25=350
30=300
37=250
47=200
67-70 = 150
110=100

for more accurate readings i will use 2lm3914 here also as the previous temp gauge

hi,
The circuit required to correct the non linearity in the tempr sensor and the effect of a 12V to ~15V battery voltage change will require more than a single LM358.

hi my friend
thanks for looking it

what will require in order to work?

hi,
The problems are caused by the 'top' of the thermistor being connected to the +V of the battery and the fact that the thermistor response is non linear.
The battery voltage could easily vary between approx 12V and 15V.

Is it possible to access the +12V supply to the 'top' of the thermistor.???

power the thermistor is not a problem..

we can supply it direct from the circuit with 8v ,9v 10v etc .... or we can do it like the other gauges.. pass from the thermistor the ground !!

i think ground or + , passing through the thermistor will not be a problem.. it is just a resistance depending from the temperature .. right?

Last edited:
power the thermistor is not a problem..

we can supply it direct from the circuit with 8v ,9v 10v etc .... or we can do it like the other gauges.. pass from the thermistor the ground !!

i think ground or + , passing through the thermistor will not be a problem.. it is just a resistance depending from the temperature .. right?

hi,
Let me know if you can power the thermistor from +8V.???

hi caslor,
Look at this with thermistor powered from the +8V [and electrically isolated from the engine block]

Set up the LM3914 to suit the Vout.

Attachments

• CylnGauge5.asc
    3.9 KB · Views: 193
  • CylTempr1.gif
    CylTempr1.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 261
Ericgibbs for one more time you save me ;)

Yes we can power the thermistor from the +8v.

The thermistor is a washer that goes to the spark and has two wires at the end.
I think it is electrically isolated from the engine block as we havent any electrical issues until now that it was powerd with +12v

here it is 2 pictures from the sender and the wire :)

Attachments

• head temp wire small.jpg
    head temp wire small.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 237
  • temp sender small.jpg
    temp sender small.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 211
Ericgibbs for one more time you save me ;)

Yes we can power the thermistor from the +8v.

The thermistor is a washer that goes to the spark and has two wires at the end.
I think it is electrically isolated from the engine block as we havent any electrical issues until now that it was powerd with +12v

here it is 2 pictures from the sender and the wire :)
hi caslor,
This is a simpler version and with improved linearity than the previous circuit.
Set the LM3914 to suit the output.

EDIT:
Deleted, the linearity was worse than predicted.

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread, just the last couple of pages so sorry if any of the following has already been suggested.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

Could you use the VU bar graph IC to correct the logarithmic curve of the thermistor?

How about replacing the thermistor with a linear temperature sensor IC?

I haven't read the entire thread, just the last couple of pages so sorry if any of the following has already been suggested.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

Could you use the VU bar graph IC to correct the logarithmic curve of the thermistor?

How about replacing the thermistor with a linear temperature sensor IC?

hi hero,
The circuit in post #96 works OK, the OP is using that version..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back