1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice
crutschow

LM317 Adjustable 20V, 1.5A Supply with Simple SMPS Tracking Preregulator

LM317 supply with switching tracking prereg for good efficiency and minimal heat sink requirements.

1. crutschow

crutschow Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

crutschow submitted a new article:

LM317 Adjustable 20V, 1.5A Supply with Simple Tracking Preregulator - LM317 Power supply with switching tracking prereg for good efficiency and minimal heat sink reqmts.

Read more about this article...

• Like Like x 2
  2. MCU88

MCU88 Member

Excellent. Now make an PCB for it an build it.

3. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Wow, Nice trick! I am using the 1st part of the circuit designed by you
    here
    , to charge my cell phone. So it's interesting to me. My cellphone takes maximum 750mA current through it and MOSFET needs medium size heatsink though.)

I guessed heat dissipation is divided into two part (minimised too around switching area)- around MOSFET little and around LM317 chip. To save component (I think LM317 is expensive than TL431) we could totally remove the LM317, and could add a TL431 based adjustable regulator circuit as a reference voltage for LM393, couldn't we?

After that our output part would be the the P-MOSFET. After that I cannot assume its heat dissipation though. (But I know that it would be a noisy power supply with huge ripples!)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. spec

spec Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Hi cruts,

You do some stuff.

The ciruit is fine as is, of course. I was just thinking: At the moment you have a buck pre reg. Have you thought about another version with s SEPIC pre reg. That way the supply volts could be anything, within reason. I only ask because it would be ideal for an application I have in mind.