Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Like meeting people, Like spending money- Photography is the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandad even has a pic of inside a canon!!!
:joyful:
In reality inside a cabinet at the Thursford collection, sound stage. well worth a visit,( Norfolk UK) if you like to be flattened ( figuratively speaking ) by a Wurlitzer :cool:and other steam stuff.

My Canon pelix ( slr no mirror ) had little bugs develop inside and would walk around on the prism, apparently eggs in the lens glue... Canon fumigated it !

I am looking for darkroom equipment, I have some developing stuff but no Enlarger and other key bits. Its hard to find decent second hand darkroom stuff now, I would go the film route given the choice. For now I have to use my mums camera stuff

:joyful:
In reality inside a cabinet at the Thursford collection, sound stage. well worth a visit,( Norfolk UK) if you like to be flattened ( figuratively speaking ) by a Wurlitzer :cool:and other steam stuff.

My Canon pelix ( slr no mirror ) had little bugs develop inside and would walk around on the prism, apparently eggs in the lens glue... Canon fumigated it !
You can get fungus on the lens, alot of people think you can clean this off, normally you CANT! it grows between the elements on the glue, when buying a second hand lens always check for fungus, dust inside you can get professionally cleaned but it costs a bit. High humidity can cause the fungus amongst other things, all lenses should be kept with silicon desiccant bags

I am looking for darkroom equipment, I have some developing stuff but no Enlarger and other key bits. Its hard to find decent second hand darkroom stuff now, I would go the film route given the choice. For now I have to use my mums camera stuff
Damn! In 2012 I gave away good film SLR camera with lenses and filters etc that were left by my father in law. You could have had them. I won't mention the make though.:joyful:

spec

You can get fungus on the lens, alot of people think you can clean this off, normally you CANT! it grows between the elements on the glue, when buying a second hand lens always check for fungus, dust inside you can get professionally cleaned but it costs a bit. High humidity can cause the fungus amongst other things, all lenses should be kept with silicon desiccant bags
Good tip about desiccants- I hadn't realized that. Some areas are naturally humid: Malaya and Florida in my experience.

spec

Canon glass less prone to fungus, not sure why.

Well I found the old sony A30 DSLR it has some old but good quality minolta lenses, so I might look around for a minolta film camera. still need dark room equipment eventually, couple of years ago on ebay it was on all the time. Now you rarely get full set ups

As a general point about Photography: the lens, sensor etc are obviously vital for picture quality, but for me the biggest user benefit of an SLR is speed. You can literally click the power switch and the camera is ready for use. Then you can fire away until the memory card is full. This speed allows you to capture scenes that simply would not be possible with a slower camera.

The downside is convenience and security. An SLR is generally big and heavy and as you are lugging an expensive piece of kit around you have to be careful. You can't leave it in your car and there are certain areas where it would be unwise to walk around with an SLR hung around your neck, especially after dark. They are also intrusive- people sometimes react to an SLR being pointed at them but are less worried by a small camera or a mobile phone.

spec

Last edited:
As a general point about Photography: the lens, sensor etc are obviously vital for picture quality, but for me the biggest user benefit of an SLR is the speed. You can literally click the power switch and the camera is ready for use. Then you can fire away until the memory card is full. This speed allows you to capture scenes that simply would not be possible with a slower camera.

spec
So why get a slow canon?

lens.JPG
d810.JPG

Will try and get pics of her other kit and lenses

Most her stuff in the studio and that is a no go area! Had to use the D700, the sony needs a new battery
kit.JPG

By the way, have you seen this:

The book that the guy mentions at the end is pretty good.

spec

Nikon D810, 5 fps, Canon 5D3, 6 fps. :wideyed:

spec
The Nikon goes upto around 8 fps but thats in cropped mode. the D5 is something mad like 11 or 15 fps, ok for sports I guess, but who needs 5fps normally? Not sure what the D7000 is but at 16Mpx It has more use for high FPS, the D810 is close to medium format specs and studio work so I dont really see why they used such high ISO and FPS. I like the low ISO on it (32), the colour depth goes beyond what most printers can handle though

By the way, have you seen this:

The book that the guy mentions at the end is pretty good.

spec
Shame they used the lens they did. Interesting video, they missed alot of the metering stuff like multi face etc. But overall a good video. Also seems unfair pitting a full blown pro camera against some of the ones they did. The 810 is a full on pro camera and not something any but the most nutty amateurs are ever going to use even 30% of what it can do. Most non pros just wont have the glass to get anything like the best from the camera. People think a £3k (when it came out) will do miracles with a £200 lens, they dont realize a £3k camera needs lenses starting at £1k. The new version with VR2 of the 80-200 2.8f lens is nearly £11K I think, they also do a 70-200 2.8 thats cheaper but the better 80-200mm is alot more money. They is 6 versons of that lens and the old style my mum has and the latest are the best ones, the others are slower with auto focus.

The other macro lens we have here is a KIRON, thats razor sharp and fits the sony, 100mm 2.8f 1:1 its even sharper than the Tamron which is supposed to be the most sharp macro for the Nikon. But no 2.8f or faster lens is cheap

I have this old but still good Nikon D100 camera, but it did not have any kinda zoom which I want, and buying a new zoom lens is way expensive, so I don't use this one much, but it is good for doing close ups which I just started doing for the website I am working on. I also do not know much about cameras and don't understand a bunch of the buttons, been to lazy to read the manual :facepalm:
I attached thumbnails of my Nikon...

IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0256.jpg

85-34 is considered a landscape lens, you can get close ups because of the depth of field. at 24mm you can get very close to something but the proportion will be way under 1:1. Depending how many macro shots you need you can hire a lens, a decent reasonable price macro lens is the older type Tamron 90mm 2.8f, its the lens on the D810 in some of my pics, not too expensive and considered very sharp glass with excellent reviews, alot of pros use it instead of the Nikon version as its quicker in auto focus than the Nikon lens and just as sharp. DP preview is a good sight for lens reviews

Something to think about....

Let me share something I always thought was pretty cool. Remington Arms has always marketed much of their 22 rimfire ammunition using names like Yellow Jacket, Stinger, Bee, Wasp and Hornet among others. The Yellow Jacket box is one of several good examples. I can't find the one I want but here is an idea of where I am going with this:
**broken link removed**
Note the yellow jacket on top of the cartridge on the box label. They had a similar image but with several cartridges vertical and several on their side. The Yellow Jackets were actual yellow jacket wasp. Yellow jacket is the common name in North America for predatory wasps of the generaVespula and Dolichovespula. Members of these genera are known simply as "wasps" in other English-speaking countries. Here is what they did. They laid out everything then go find a flower bed and catch several yellow jackets. Catch them in a jar and do not make them mad! Place jar in refrigerator for several minuits. Make sure your equipment is setup. A macro lens make for sweet and speaking of sweet melt some sugar in hot water. Brush some of the sugar water on the cartridges where we want the bees to migrate to. Refrigeration will slow your bees to about dormant. Now using tweezers (don't squish the bees) place the bees on or in close proximity to the sugar coated cartridges. As the bees wake up they will gravitate right to the sweet smell of the sugar water coating. Click away and then get your bees (before they are fully awake) and return them to the wild. This way we can claim no bees were killed in the making of this picture. :angelic: You can apply this method in several ways.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back