Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEDs tapped into 7pin=problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickB1980

Happy New Years everyone...
I just wired up some LED brake and turn signals to the 7 pin harness on my 2015 F150. Doing so makes my truck think that I have a trailer connected which disables blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alerts and the rear park assist. Does anyone have an idea of how I can wire up these lights w/o making the truck think I have a trailer hooked up? I tried popping out a taillight to tap wires but the wiring is such a thin gauge compared to incandescent lights. Any help would be great.

Is there also a 4 pin port? It may not have the same current sensing reactions, as the 7 pin unit which also has trailer brake power option.

contact dealer for info on load current threshold for this effect.??
replace bulbs with LEDs if this helps reduce load.

The F150 will detect any current above about 10 mA as a trailer. They are made that sensitive because many trailers have LED lights.

You will need to have some sort of amplifier circuit that will take much less than 10 mA, and switch on the lamps. I suggest something like this:-

**broken link removed**

You could wire the inputs up to either the car's tail light or the trailer socket. Either way, you need a power feed, and the module should take so little current that the circuit connected to is not affected.

The F150 will detect any current above about 10 mA as a trailer. They are made that sensitive because many trailers have LED lights.

You will need to have some sort of amplifier circuit that will take much less than 10 mA, and switch on the lamps. I suggest something like this:-

**broken link removed**

You could wire the inputs up to either the car's tail light or the trailer socket. Either way, you need a power feed, and the module should take so little current that the circuit connected to is not affected.

Brilliant! So which exact module should I order for this application? Here is a link to the LEDs installed in my headache rack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M9..._SY170_QL70&keywords=recreation+pro+led&psc=1

I imagine that I would run a power line from the battery into the module, tap the module into the 7 pin wires then tap the wires from the LEDs into the module...Correct?

Thanks again for the guidance. I never would have figured that one out.

Last edited:
I would suggest this:-
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/56146.html

Instructions are at **broken link removed**

You should connect the stop input to ground, then just connect as you said. Power from battery (via fuse), connect the module wires to the 7 pin wires, and connect your LED lights to the 4 pin socket that comes connected to the module. You might end up cutting off the 4 pin socket and wiring direct.

You could wire that same module to the car's tail lights instead. If your car has separate stop lights, you will need to connect the stop input of the module to them if your extra LED lights are to come on as stop lights as well as turn signals.

I would suggest this:-
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/56146.html

Instructions are at **broken link removed**

You should connect the stop input to ground, then just connect as you said. Power from battery (via fuse), connect the module wires to the 7 pin wires, and connect your LED lights to the 4 pin socket that comes connected to the module. You might end up cutting off the 4 pin socket and wiring direct.

You could wire that same module to the car's tail lights instead. If your car has separate stop lights, you will need to connect the stop input of the module to them if your extra LED lights are to come on as stop lights as well as turn signals.

Thank you for your help kind Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back