Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"lead free" solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

has anybody here used lead free solder and normal solder whats the difference. i know why you "have to have" lead-free" solder.

No, you can still use convencional Lead solder. Only device manufactures has to use Lead-free solder by the end of 2005.
Lead-free solder has some disadvantages, so stick to Lead solder for a while.

lol, i think its law. i hered it somewhere.
i could make my own 40% lead, 60% tin :twisted:

Jay.slovak said:
Maybe Nigel can help you out, PM him :twisted:

Just happened to spot this thread!.

Lead based solder is freely available in the UK, I've just listed the melting temperatures for various types from the RS Components catalogue in another thread.

RS Components will accept orders from the public, but any electronics supplier should still be able to sell you lead based solder.

Nigel you say that for every thread that you post in in this part of the forum :lol:

I know that you were opposed to the idea of a ****-chat forum from the beginning, but i think its growing on you!! :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:

What a coincidence wasn't it? We are talking about you in forum you "don't visit" and you show up...

Anyways we are happy to see you here :eek:

so... what is the difference between leaded solder and lead free solder.
does it solder better?

danielsmusic said:
so... what is the difference between leaded solder and lead free solder.
does it solder better?
Answer is NO, Lead-free solder does not solder better, it was created only due to enviromental issues (as you know Lead is pretty toxic) it's composed of different compounds and because of that it has higher melting point. We can still use Lead solder, but there is a Law (I don't know if it's EU or World-wide) that All Manufacturers has to use Lead-free solder by the 1. January 2006 (Microchip for example).

is it still easy to solder or do i have to learn again. i still have alot of leaded solder so i will be ok for now

danielsmusic said:
is it still easy to solder or do i have to learn again. i still have alot of leaded solder so i will be ok for now
Basically it is the same, you just need to set your iron to higher temperature, use different flux (for lead-free soldering) and ofcourse the lead-free solder. Be careful, it's easyer to damage ICs due to overheaing.

danielsmusic said:
will a 40w do it is not ajustable, i use ic sockets 8)

Stick to leaded solder, there's no good reason to change, and you really need a temperature controlled iron for unleaded - so you can turn it up a considerable amount!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back