Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LDR circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero999 said:
Yes, I missed that part, but it was still a bit over complicated.

I would use two comparators with open collector outputs, each would have different reference voltages and some hysteresis. The LED would have three series resistors at its ground connection, I would use the comparator outputs to short the appropriate resistor when it gets too dark, I canl draw to a diagram if you don't get me.

yes, that's a good one - basically my 3rd option, if you hadn't noticed. though I think hysteresis isn't necessary.

by the way, while it's kind of silly for a mower. some autos have tri-level instrument lighting based on ambient light. it's backwards from the intent here but it makes sense - bright lighting when it's bright, middle during "tween" times and dim when it's dark.

compare this circuit:
ldr-led-jpg.8016

and this circuit:
**broken link removed**
which one uses less power?

*is a photo resistor same as the light dependent resistor?

Silly it may be, but quite a bit of applications! LG TVs use this for ambient light controlled Brightness/contrast, with an enhanced cost, ofcourse.
Also in many instrument/annunciator display lamps to save battery power during day-light hrs.
"Silly" might mean " :rolleyes: Whatever-for in a Lawn mower?!" kind of thing. :p
But this thread has helped many, as I can see.....for many other applications.

docel said:
Silly it may be, but quite a bit of applications! LG TVs use this for ambient light controlled Brightness/contrast, with an enhanced cost, ofcourse.

It's been used by a great many TV's over the years, the first I can recall were some Pye sets from the 1950's, but that's not to say they were the first?. However, it's always been a really useless feature - but it's very cheap to do!, and it's an extra gimmick - just make sure you can turn it off.

Yes, a photos resistor is the same thing as an LDR. (It's resistance lowers with increasing light levels, right?)

I think the circuit with the resistor, LDR, and LED use the least power just because it has less components(plus it also adjusts brightness automaticall). I also think the relay circuit only has on/off and no "middle" brightness level.

dknguyen said:
I think the circuit with the resistor, LDR, and LED use the least power just because it has less components.

No, it's a wasteful 'circuit', because it uses MORE current when the LED is dark than when it's lit - it's also not likely to work very well, and not at all unless you can get a really low resistance LDR, most will be too high to work. There's not much to admire about it at all, except it's lack of components - which probably isn't a good thing?.

Why doesn't the relay circuit cause a short when the relay is closed?

Last edited:
Short

Well if the relay is closed, doesn't that create a straight path for current to flow down the right branch from +6V -> relay -> transistor ->GND. This would only happen if the gate voltage was pulled high, but since no current will flow through the right branch, I can't figure out whether or not the gate potential will be at GND or +6V to switch the transistor on to cause the short.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the relay symbol?

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
Well if the relay is closed, doesn't that create a straight path for current to flow down the right branch from +6V -> relay -> transistor ->GND. This would only happen if the gate voltage was pulled high, but since no current will flow through the right branch, I can't figure out whether or not the gate potential will be at GND or +6V to switch the transistor on to cause the short.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the relay symbol?

A relay isn't a short circuit, it's a solenoid that moves a mechanical switch, and the solenoid has resistance - which is listed in the specifications of the relay - some can be quite high. But no matter what it's resistance, it's designed to work at it's rated voltage - so why should placing the relay across it's intended supply cause a short?.

can i switch a 3v relay with 5v supply? i do this because i'm worried the power of my battery might decrease. am i going to distroy the relay?

must i connect a diode parallel with the coil of the relay? cathode to Vcc and anode the other end of the coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back