Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large X Ray transformer Fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDAudio

A good friend of mine works at an undisclosed location they where 'deacquisitioning' some old equipment, so I was able to get my hands on (3) very large X Ray tank transformers. Made by Philips.

So here I am lifting the core out of the oil for inspection,

**broken link removed**

I am using an Home made lift made from a 1,500lbs industrial steel garage door opener

The projected power is 15,000 Watts specs are about 240V ~50Amp calculated output can be as high as 80KV

**broken link removed**

The main core

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The high voltage DC full wave bridge rectifier

**broken link removed**

High voltage output current meter.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Size comparison, they are around 500lbs with oil and about 350lbs bare.

So You know I had to test it out!

**broken link removed**

The gap at the top is over 1 foot!

**broken link removed**

And here are my 30amp current limiting resistors

**broken link removed**

Control circuitry on the left.

And a Video for fun.

I was using a 100Amp contactor with Dead man switch for this test.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had some more fun and decided to get some photos of this striking water!

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The effect was amazing!

But may I add, I had to ground my camera lens and be very careful for I was in a pitch black lab with high voltage. lets say it was a little hair raising!

I hope you aren't anywhere near the transformer farm on 130th street in Cleveland, OH. We don't need another East coast black out. Are you taking donations for your electric bill?

John

Even made my own Solar flares

**broken link removed**

Fire is conductive and with high voltage DC and a magnetic field I can control it!

**broken link removed**

I hope you aren't anywhere near the transformer farm on 130th street in Cleveland, OH. We don't need another East coast black out. Are you taking donations for your electric bill?

John

Haha I am in PA so close, and my Electric company sends me holiday greeting cards, is that normal? haha

here are the other (2) That I have,

**broken link removed**

I was thinking of selling them for allot of Tesla coil builders would kill for one of these! Think there would be much interest?

Before I depart with them , I plan to connect them all together and go for a world record Jacobs ladder :D

One slight problem the 150Amp load I would have to directly connect across my house mains and use my massive disconnect to be safe.

i once worked at a company that had bought several "decommissioned" electron microscopes. although rather low current, the power supplies for the tubes were about 150kv. the insulation on the wires to the anode had about an inch of silicone and teflon insulation around an 18ga wire. one of the panels contained what looked to be an intact microscope, the others were broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back