Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LAPTOP SCREEN PROBLEM Sony Vaio PCG-FXA53

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR_301

LAPTOP MODEL NUMBER: Sony Vaio PCG-FXA53

PICTURE OF PROBLEM: **broken link removed****broken link removed**

INFO: The screen on the laptop will turn on but its pure white and stays this way 24/7, As seen in the picture I am able to hook it up to an external monitor and it works fine, I can watch movies and play games with it, however when checking the screen resolution it only gives me 3 settings to choose from.

QUESTION: what is the problem with it, ive came to 1 (formerly 2) conclusion

1. the lcd inverter has gone bad

Im 99% confident in it being the LCD inverter, However id like to be 100% certain, is there any way to do this without having to buy a new inverter to test it on? maybe use a multimeter?:confused:

It's all white so yeah, maybe something got knocked lose inside. Could be the LCD controller itself, in which case you're completely out of luck.

It's all white so yeah, maybe something got knocked lose inside. Could be the LCD controller itself, in which case you're completely out of luck.

Im really hoping its not, However when im able to boot with the external monitor it only gives me 3 default manufacturer resolution settings.... not too sure if that plays a part or not.

Did you screw your drivers up somehow?

Did you screw your drivers up somehow?

Not that I know of, No. I came home one day turned on the laptop and the screen was pure white, wasnt too sure what was going on. (I wouldnt rule out a bad sector, corrupt data, or even a virus)

Last edited:
Neither would I. You can get the system up at least, backup whatever data you can as fast as possible and try to re-format before you go hacking the display.

Neither would I. You can get the system up at least, backup whatever data you can as fast as possible and try to re-format before you go hacking the display.

Ran Diagnostics on the HD and its in good shape, I found the LCD driver for the laptop and installed it but still didnt fix the problem, Im going through this check list at the moment, Ill update when finished

Laptop Repair Help Laptop LCD screen turned completely white

Last edited:
Look for coffee stains <snicker>

Google dis-assembly for that laptop.There ia ribbon cable or wire harness going up to the screen.Possibly it has worked loose.Also check for other loose plugs.

Example is this photo

Look for coffee stains <snicker>

Eww gross, people still drink that stuff? <snicker>

Google dis-assembly for that laptop.There ia ribbon cable or wire harness going up to the screen.Possibly it has worked loose.Also check for other loose plugs.

Its most likely the LCD controller or to be more general the LCD screen I was able to test it out with another laptop, but with no results, This is the ribbon cable I found but its the only one that leads strait to the MB, are there any others?

**broken link removed**

The wire harness on the bottom going through the hinge should plug in to the MBD on the bottom You might have to take the bottom cover off but make sure it's seated into the jack. Also check for a busted wire in that harness.

The fact that you have external video means that your onboard video circuits are working.The long narrow board is the inverter and it's working because you have a backlight. I doubt if the screen is bad. Do you get anything when you first turn it on?

The wire harness on the bottom going through the hinge should plug in to the MBD on the bottom You might have to take the bottom cover off but make sure it's seated into the jack. Also check for a busted wire in that harness.

The fact that you have external video means that your onboard video circuits are working.The long narrow board is the inverter and it's working because you have a backlight. I doubt if the screen is bad. Do you get anything when you first turn it on?

Yeah, I checked the wires and jack but didnt find anything, What im mostly wondering is, If I were to follow the copper leads on the board would it lead to maybe more cables?

**broken link removed**

BETTER SHOT different model the PCG-FXA63

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Here is the manual download. Scroll down to link.

manual

On page 11 the figure shows the harness you are concerned with. It is numbered 437. You have to check the plugs on both ends. It is not a ribbon cable, the ribbon cable in the middle goes to the keyboard. Be carefull not to bend any ribbon cable or put stress on them.

ok problem you have there is eitha a faulty ribbon cable,could be partially broken where it has to flex at the connector on yr motherboard as you have to open and close the unit or it may be the ribbon connector is tarnished and not making proper contact to the ribbon or more common iv e had units where if u apply pressure to the lcd display and press downwards(top to bottom as you have the laptop display upright and keyboard in the normal position)if you then get a normal display strip it down and resolder the connector on the motherboard and that should cure it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back