Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop Power Adapter Pinout (3 pin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

I need to find out the pinout for an HP g6 laptop computer wall adapter.
The problem is that it is not just 2 pins, plus and minus voltage, but there is a third pin that is somewhat questionable as to what it does and how it is used.

What i was hoping for is to find out how to wire up a 'regular' 2 pin wall adapter if needed, as to how to wire up that third pin if it is possible to do that.

I was hoping to reach people who actually did this and not from a search on the web because no site i found seems to have anyone that actually knows for sure what this third pin does. I have to be sure about this or else risk blowing up the laptop. The laptop works fine with the supplied adapter, but i want to know what to do in the future if i cant get another one if this one breaks down, and also i am about to acquire a second laptop that takes the same adapter but the adapter may not come with the laptop this time so i might need a second one anyway.

Thanks for any info, ideas, etc.

I used to have a HP laptop and it had a three wire connection... The outer was ground.. The inner was 20v and the pin was for the ID... BUT the middle pin becomes loose and the power supply cannot ID the system and doesn't charge..

The good news is EBAY is littered with spare jack connectors for the entire HP range.. There is a good video on Youtube for a HP G61.. Instructables also have some info on laptop pins

Many laptops use the 3rd pin to read the charger ID. Tha stated reaaon is so they know the charger capabilities. Incidentally, the laptop won't charge except from specific modela of chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back