Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Language deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody speak English in Hongcouver anymore?
I was raised in Vancouver before the "Hongs" took it over.

Does everybody in Victoria still drink tea?

Does anybody speak English in Hongcouver anymore?
I was raised in Vancouver before the "Hongs" took it over.

Yep, but there is a huge Chinese community in Richmond. Surrey has a huge Indian population. Many white Vancouverites can't tell the difference between an Hindu and, say, a Sunni. After 9/11 it seemed that anybody with darkish skin and dark eyebrows was treated by many idiots as a potential terrorist.

Does everybody in Victoria still drink tea?

Not quite, but it's still not exactly a hotbed of diversity. Still full of Windsor Wannabes.

Toodle-pip!

Torben

Generations of students in the US have learned German, Spanish, etc and execpt for "expanding the mind" it was a lot of wasted time.

Hi 3v0,

I only agree partly to that. Imagine you travel to Paris and order a T-bone steak in a restaurant. Much to your surprise you get a fried boot. :D That wouldn't be much amusing though. :mad:

Waste of time is something I suppose electronic freaks don't have to think about - just because they don't know what it is.

About 90% of the population of every country in the world stick their fingers up their noses and watch TV all day long - regardless of the quality of the program. That's really waste of time!

I haven't watched TV for more than 10 years now and I didn't miss anything. Just knowing the latest news without sensationally phantastic pictures is good enough for me.

Hans

People who grow up in your part of the world have good reason to speak several languages. Each time you sneeze people are speaking a different language. The Germans can not even agree on what their language is!

I can travel most anywhere in the US and Canada except for Quebec (lets not go there) and do very well knowing only English. Only people who travel abroad frequently have any real chance at becoming fluent in another language, other then Spanish.

It is short sighted to expect an American making their one and only trip across the Atlantic to learn N different languages. If a shop or restaurant wants US tourist dollars it would be good if they understood this. If they want to be butt heads that is their choice too.

As far as the French serving fried boot to people from the US, I suspect they know what they are doing and stock smelly boots for just that purpose.

In no way am I making excuses for bad or rude behavior.

Hi 3v0,

I only agree partly to that. Imagine you travel to Paris and order a T-bone steak in a restaurant. Much to your surprise you get a fried boot. :D That wouldn't be much amusing though. :mad:

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back