Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lamp dimmers in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatrabbit

I want to connect a lamp to a wirelessly controlled plug-in **broken link removed** module. The lamp itself also has a **broken link removed** switch built into it. If the lamp's dimmer is always left at 100% bright, will using the plug-in dimmer upstream work properly & not create problems?
Thanks

Hi HR,

I want to connect a lamp to a wirelessly controlled plug-in **broken link removed** module. The lamp itself also has a **broken link removed** switch built into it. If the lamp's dimmer is always left at 100% bright, will using the plug-in dimmer upstream work properly & not create problems?
Thanks

While it is not possible to be 100% sure, I am pretty certain that what you want to do will be OK.

spec

While it is not possible to be 100% sure, I am pretty certain that what you want to do will be OK.

I'm of the opposite opinion spec, I'm pretty certain it won't work correctly, as the dimmer in the lamp is expecting a nice 50/60Hz sine wave - the chopped signal from a dimmer is going to play havoc with the zero-crossing detection in the lamp.

Personally I'd simply short out the triac in the lamp, or even better bypass it entirely.

I'm of the opposite opinion spec, I'm pretty certain it won't work correctly, as the dimmer in the lamp is expecting a nice 50/60Hz sine wave - the chopped signal from a dimmer is going to play havoc with the zero-crossing detection in the lamp.

Personally I'd simply short out the triac in the lamp, or even better bypass it entirely.
Ah yes Nigel- I have to agree.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back