Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug Assembly Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
parts-man73 said:
Thank you for verifying my suspicions. I'd hate to have it soldered together to find out it was the other way round.
I did that on a programmer I built recently. Got confused with the pinout differences between BS and 2N transistors. There were 4 transistors in the kit, a combination of proper 2N's and substituted BS's. I soldered every one backwards. Clipped em out (sort of one or two at a time as I found the problems) and replaced with new ones and still got 2 backwards. I was kicking myself by then ("Oh man! I've wrecked it!). Finally got them all the right way and it works perfect now. :p

So if you get one backwards it won't usually hurt anything. It's just the annoyance and time factor. You just have to clip off and throw away the backward transistor, carefully suck the solder and old wire out of the hole and install a new transistor. They're cheap!

The problem with the BS250 is the modified TO-92 case on some versions. I'm trying to source only the BS250K in the future (Goes in the same way as the 2N7000)

Hmm might be a fun project on the Junebug. Don't solder in the BS250 till the end and I wonder if I could make a tester for it using the three pin socket under the reset button...

(Preprogrammed 18F1320)

blueroomelectronics said:
LOL, just watch out for the BS250K.
why not try to capture the pinout of various makes and publish a small png to indicate maker wise pinout (top view of course.)It might help many others instead of asking them to get only bs250K version?

mvs sarma said:
why not try to capture the pinout of various makes and publish a small png to indicate maker wise pinout (top view of course.)It might help many others instead of asking them to get only bs250K version?

I did :) I've drawn them up in the current Junebug Assembly Manual.

Success! I finally got a chance to sit down with my soldering iron (busy time of year with kids in sports) I have to commend you Bill, this is a nice kit! The documentation was easy to follow and it worked immediately when plugged into my USB port, MPLAB recognized it and I was able to program the onboard 18F1320.

I attached a photo of my completed Junebug.

Time to play!

Brian

Attachments

• junebug1.jpg
    junebug1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back