Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jumping Around in a Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
This is just a "how to" question. For background, I am playing with an I2C interface using a PIC 16F1829 chip. There are several bit-banged examples, but I have decided to try to use the MSSP module with my chip. Microchip's AN734C seems right on point. The sample code that I have been studying is "I2C Master Driver version 2 (assembly)" by Chris Best and is included in that application note. It makes sense to me, but seems to use a lot of conditional jumps based on flag bits in the ISR.

Instead of using separate registers for each flag bit, I set up one register (flag0) for the write flag bits and flag1 for the read flag bits. I suspect one could calculate an offset from those registers to get to the right subroutine without all of the conditional jumps. However, one would need to know the PCL (maybe PCLATH too) for each subroutine. Hard coding those values based on a disassembly listing would seem like asking for a disaster, so I tried this:

Code:
TEST_AREA
     nop
     movlw     2
     call      Table
     movwf     PCL    
Table            ;simply a list of subroutine labels
     brw                                
     dt LongDelay        
     dt Main
     dt Set_Read
     dt Read_Sequence

The PCL for label "Set_Read" (actually the first instruction after the label) is returned and the simulator goes there. Is there a better or more accepted way to do that? Are there any obvious risks in doing it that way?

Regards, John

It's called a 'jump table' and is a perfectly common method of programming - although you're over complicating it :D

The jump table normally consist of a table of goto instructions, no need to mess with PCL - though bearing in mind the problems of paging!!.

You can if your very carefull use pclath to switch lookup tables from the same call.

Actually, I was the victim of "target fixation." I had been playing with tables to analyze the various bit flags in I2C and didn't step back long enough to realize what I had actually done. That is, until Nigel kindly woke me up. Now, I need to live with that embarrassment.
John

If that embarrassment I'm embarrassed every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back