Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've messed up my DVD player, please advise. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update, I worked a bit on it last night trying different locations and I made one step forward two steps back. I cleaned the lenses and tried various positions of the carousel disc tray. It doesn't matter how I put the tray back it recognizes the number of the relative slot, so that's good. No matter what I do, when I press open, it opens and the little drive motor keeps spinning like before and then closes automatically. I can quickly change a dvd if need be so :meh:. The drawer does open and shut freely by hand, like it's not engaged by something, and there is a small clunk when I open it myself- so it sounds like something is askew in the sliding mechanics..so that might be the root of the problem with the drive motor, it just doesn't know if its open or not I guess. Not that I think the clunk noise IS the drive motor- I can see the drive motor spinning, I just mean it may be (as it was mentioned previously), not reaching it's limit switch.

Two steps back is that I tried moving the assembly 3 feet away to my desk to plug it into the tv and see how it was working and when it got there, I plugged it in and...nothing. I had all the boards plugged in to eachother off to the side so I could see the way the carousel was working so I wonder if I shorted someting in moving it. The fuse looks blown so Ill try a new one and if that works, investigate the problem with the drawer mechanics not engaging. And if not, then this thing is trash.

Last edited:
No, not trash !!
Look for another trigger related to the draw opening, maybe on the drawer itself or on the mechanism that moves when the draw is in motion. There must be something that tells it when the draw is open/closed. Could be another opto isolator like the one on the carousel base or it could be a more crude arrangement with a micro switch or similar. When I had the problem with mine the operator bar for the laser turntable pressed open a little microswitch when in the play position which turn off the carousel motor until it was retracted.
Don't give in to it, you'll find it !

S

I bought new fuses, 250v 5amp slow burn is what I bought. The d BFF player still won't turn on though. I think I'm done but thanks for all the help everybody.

Sorry to hear, valiant effort.
If we can ever help again we are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back