Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's not too late to give Tesla the recognition he deserves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, I like the "older TV's" that used a Tripler and LOPTX combination..

Philips K9, KL9 come to mind. Nothing better than checking if the Line is running by holding a screwdriver close enough to the LOPTX...and see the little (safe) arc from the LOPTX before it makes it to the Tripler......

That was fun. Nowday's fixing TV's is a pile of wasted time. Anybody and his friend attempts it. And stuffs all up. And don't even get shocked while doing it.

Sorry to digress and take off topic. Kinda relevant here though.

Regards,
tvtech

But those patents you listed aren't even all credited to Tesla, I would suggest he was applying for patents based on work done elsewhere, or work that had already been patented (such as radio).

By the time Marconi was working on radio, Tesla had already done work on it and had received several patents for the designs.

As for 'proved to work', that's pretty vague - particularly as you quote the 'wireless power transmission' which has NEVER been proved to work, and never worked in his own experiments. Back in those days, particularly in the USA, they granted patents VERY easily, for loads of things that couldn't possibly work - and 'working' wasn't even a requirement for a patent.

Tesla had gotten wireless electricity transmission to work to an extent. If you have ever seen The Prestige, you will probably remember the scene in which Tesla is standing in a field surrounded by lit light bulbs that are placed in the ground. This is based on an actual experiment Tesla conducted in 1899. He lit 200 light bulbs from 26 miles away.

He also conducted several smaller-scale experiments with wireless electricity transmission, and often used them in his demonstrations.

By the time Marconi was working on radio, Tesla had already done work on it and had received several patents for the designs.

As had many others, before Tesla as well.

Basically it's all down to who gets credited - and it's often not the guys who do the actual work, but their employers, presumably Tesla employed a number of people?.

I see it's suggested now that Tesla 'invented' radio, rather than Marconi - and of course it's long been suggested that Bell didn't invent the telephone, or Baird the TV.

'Facts' change :D

Tesla had gotten wireless electricity transmission to work to an extent. If you have ever seen The Prestige, you will probably remember the scene in which Tesla is standing in a field surrounded by lit light bulbs that are placed in the ground. This is based on an actual experiment Tesla conducted in 1899. He lit 200 light bulbs from 26 miles away.

You mean he claims to :D

He also conducted several smaller-scale experiments with wireless electricity transmission, and often used them in his demonstrations.

A number of people keep 'demonstrating cars running on water :p

^^^You in fighting mood Nigel :p

LOL...tvtech loves/loved the Tripler/ LOPTX combination. Missing from my life.....

Be good

tvtech:)

As had many others, before Tesla as well.

Basically it's all down to who gets credited - and it's often not the guys who do the actual work, but their employers, presumably Tesla employed a number of people?.

Tesla did not employ a number of people. He occasionally had friends help him out with his experiments, but he generally worked alone.

I see it's suggested now that Tesla 'invented' radio, rather than Marconi - and of course it's long been suggested that Bell didn't invent the telephone, or Baird the TV.

'Facts' change :D

The original design of radio consisting of tuned resonant circuits is rightly attributed to Tesla--it's the same design used in Tesla coils, with which I'm sure you are familiar. They both stemmed from the same theories which Tesla had developed and experimented with. Facts never change, however the truth is sometimes hidden. The only reason Marconi was ever accredited with inventing radio was because he paid off the patent offices. This was eventually corrected and Tesla was finally given credit for his designs. Prior work with "radio" really wasn't "radio" in the traditional sense. Orsted, Maxwell, Faraday, Hertz, and a few others worked with electromagnetic waves, including spark gap transmitters. However, wireless telephony (transmitted audio) was developed by Tesla using his tuned circuits designs. This is what I refer to when I say he invented the radio.

You mean he claims to :D

I'm thinking there were witnesses, and even photos were taken of similar experiments, if not the exact one.

A number of people keep 'demonstrating cars running on water :p

It's a bit easier to fake that sort of thing nowadays :p

But regardless, the demonstrations were executed in front of a large group of people. His apparatuses were often examined to prove they were not faked.

I strongly recommend you read some of Tesla's work, his biographies and autobiographies, second-hand accounts of his experiments, etc. I think you'd learn a lot. Everything I have said so far has been based in solid fact, agreed upon by numerous credible sources. I've said my piece--whether you believe it or not is up to you. There's not much more to be said about Tesla if you refuse to research him first before arguing against his work.

Last edited:
I'd like to present a slightly different view of Tesla and radio. He was on track with power distribution and early wireless (not radio) electrical devices but he was mainly wrong with radio which is why his research in the field was a dead end.

https://earlyradiohistory.us/tesla.htm

I'd like to present a slightly different view of Tesla and radio. He was on track with power distribution and electrical devices but he was mainly wrong with radio which is why his research in the field was a dead end.

https://earlyradiohistory.us/tesla.htm

That's an interesting point of view, nsaspook--one that I had not seen before. But whether Tesla intended to or not, he did invent the basis of radio today with his tuned AC circuits and Tesla coils. His research was by no means a dead end--it was and is still used in various types of radios that broadcast and receive audio signals. That is an undeniable fact.

That's an interesting point of view, nsaspook--one that I had not seen before. But whether Tesla intended to or not, he did invent the basis of radio today with his tuned AC circuits and Tesla coils. His research was by no means a dead end--it was and is still used in various types of radios that broadcast and receive audio signals. That is an undeniable fact.

I'll let the man speak in his own words on the subject of Hertz waves (radio, transverse waves of electromagnetic radiation), something he actively denied existed, ridiculed and never claimed credit for working with. I personally think it's ridiculous to give him scientific credit for radio beyond designing equipment for making sparks near the audio frequency range. Not that there's anything wrong with sparks as my first Navy rating badge was a 'Sparky'. ;)
radioman.final_894_general.jpg

The Hertz wave theory of wireless transmission may be kept up for a while, but I do not hesitate to say that in a short time it will be recognized as one of the most remarkable and inexplicable aberrations of the scientific mind which has ever been recorded in history.

https://earlyradiohistory.us/1919tru.htm

Last edited:
You are repeating yourself, nsaspook, and my last response applies to your latest post as well--whether Tesla intended to or not, he still invented the apparatus used to transmit and receive radio signals.

Hi,

It must take a lot to get your friggin' NAME tacked to a SCIENTIFIC UNIT OF MEASURE. They dont do that for just anyone, only a handful of people got that kind of historical credit. There must be a reason for it.

Also, i think it's a thumbs up or thumbs down kind of issue. For example Einstein was a theoretical physicist while Tesla was more of an applications engineer. Thumbs up for both of them :)

It must take a lot to get your friggin' NAME tacked to a SCIENTIFIC UNIT OF MEASURE. They dont do that for just anyone, only a handful of people got that kind of historical credit. There must be a reason for it.

Yes, it's few and far between - in my view he's already got massive respect from that - I don't recall standard units of Einstein's, Edison's, Marconi's etc. :D

I don't thing any of the other ones who do have their name on standard units also have cars named after them :p

Also, i think it's a thumbs up or thumbs down kind of issue. For example Einstein was a theoretical physicist while Tesla was more of an applications engineer. Thumbs up for both of them :)

Thumbs up for what he actually did.

You are repeating yourself, nsaspook, and my last response applies to your latest post as well--whether Tesla intended to or not, he still invented the apparatus used to transmit and receive radio signals.

Yes, I repeated myself to drive home the point because I'm really tired of Tesla getting credit for inventing radio, having anything to do with radio, winning Marconi's patents on the invention of radio or even having the slightest notion of the physics of radio. The man was the master of conduction/induction and his honors in coupled magnetics are justified but he didn't invented the apparatus for transmitting radio any more than the man who invented the transformer did and there's little evidence he invented anything useful for future radio audio reception.

Yes, I repeated myself to drive home the point because I'm really tired of Tesla getting credit for inventing radio, having anything to do with radio, winning Marconi's patents on the invention of radio or even having the slightest notion of the physics of radio. The man was the master of conduction/induction and his honors in coupled magnetics are justified but he didn't invented the apparatus for transmitting radio any more than the man who invented the transformer did and there's little evidence he invented anything useful for future radio audio reception.

There is a significant amount of evidence to prove you wrong, and you're simply refusing to see it. I've tried showing you evidence and you've completely ignored it. I've done my part, there's nothing more for me to say. Besides, we've gone off topic of this thread--this thread is about the Tesla Science Center and Museum, not about what Tesla did or didn't do.

I am not sure where all the fuss is about how and what Tesla did his research and experiment on.

My understanding off his work was he was dealing with what is now a poorly known and understood aspect of electromagnetic wave energy than what our present radio systems work on.

The nearest equivalents I can relate it to is like comparing the waves on a lake to radio waves and Tesla's wireless energy transfer to the flow water in a river. Same base substance being used but two very different energy transfer levels and processes in play.

Besides, we've gone off topic of this thread--this thread is about the Tesla Science Center and Museum, not about what Tesla did or didn't do.

On this we agree. I would love to visit the place when it's done.

Can we agree that Tesla was a visionary experimenter (however flawed) without a formal education who contributed mightily to the early progress of electrical (and early electronic) advances?

He faced monumental competition (most notably from Edison, who was way off-base with his DC concept of electrical transmission and usage at that time).

Given how we receive both our main source of power and our information, I would posit his contribution to their development alone warrant our respect and admiration, irrespective of his failures and idiosyncratic life style.

DerStrom8, have you read any Bob Mayer books?, I've just finished 'The Truth' (7th in the Area 51 series) and Tesla makes an 'appearance' in it, as he often does in SciFi (such as a TV series where he was a vampire in Sanctuary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back