Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's not too late to give Tesla the recognition he deserves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
A few years ago I read a news article about Tesla's last remaining laboratory in the United States, and that some company was going to buy the property and tear it down to make room for a strip mall. Naturally, I was furious, and I'm pretty sure I posted a thread about it some time ago.

Well, it's coming down to the wire. It's the last-ditch effort to preserve the historical landmark and turn Tesla's Long Island Wardenclyffe lab into a museum and science center. Now, they have received a pledge from New York State saying if they can raise $850,000, they will match it, which will give the TSC $1.7 million for the $1.6 million property. Without the help of Tesla fans and admirers around the world, this would not be a possibility. I encourage you to consider making a donation, or otherwise support the organization. Tesla did so much for this country, and he deserves to have a museum built here in his honor. They are at over $500,000 now, so they're in the home stretch! Thanks for your support!

Website: https://www.teslasciencecenter.org/ (Site has been hacked, so try to avoid clicking links)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tesla-Science-Center-at-Wardenclyffe/81306299102

A few articles/blogs:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
https://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum
https://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum
https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/...ine?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thank you!

P.S. Moderators, if I have broken any rules, please let me know and I will edit the post. I'm not trying to spam or extort, and I hope you can understand my position. I am a Tesla Fanatic, and anything I can do to protect the memory of his life and work, I'll do ;)

P.P.S. Sorry, I forgot to mention there is harsh language in a couple of the links. For that I apologize. Reader discretion is advised, for any of the "theoatmeal" links.

Last edited:
DerStrom8,

The oatmeal. Thanks for the links! That guy is a HOOT...

I'm still chortling:eek::rolleyes::D:):(:eek:;):eek::p

And I'm gonna donate.

(I wondered who your avatar is [was]).

CBB

PS: Where are you in VT? Went to school in Craftsbury Common (61' - 65').

Last edited:
DerStrom8,

The oatmeal. Thanks for the links! That guy is a HOOT...

I'm still chortling:eek::rolleyes::D:):(:eek:;):eek::p

And I'm gonna donate.

(I wondered who your avatar is [was]).

CBB

PS: Where are you in VT? Went to school in Craftsbury Common (61' - 65').

He does a great job with his blogs ;)

Thanks very much for your support! They're almost there, and you can now say that you helped pay to build the first Tesla museum in the United States! :D

I use Tesla's picture as my avatar to keep him from being forgotten. He did so much for the world, yet few people even know about him. I put him up there to remind others of what he's done for us, as well as to inspire me to work hard in the field and try to be like him in any way I can.

--Matt--

PS: I live in a small town called Thetford, which is just a couple towns away from White River Junction. I'm across the river from Lyme, New Hampshire, about 20 miles from Lebanon. According to Google Maps, Craftsbury Common is about 82 miles north of where I live.

There's no denying he did some great work - but he also did a lot of absolute and utter rubbish - unfortunately there seems a strange obsession among some people to consider everything he ever did as all but god like.

I certainly agree though that a Tesla museum at his old workshops would be a nice idea, and would hopefully dispel some of the myths that seem to be getting stronger with every year :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt

Don't let these things get to you. You know what, before this thread today I had heard of Tesla....but never really understood what he actually contributed to our lives in this modern day and age. I thank you for posting and actually starting the thread.

I have learned a lot. Thank you.

Best regards,
tvtech

Hi Matt

Don't let these things get to you. You know what, before this thread today I had heard of Tesla....but never really understood what he actually contributed to our lives in this modern day and age. I thank you for posting and actually starting the thread.

I have learned a lot. Thank you.

Best regards,
tvtech

Glad you found some interest in this thread. He really was/is a fascinating character who has lots to teach people. I don't mean to treat him as an all-perfect, all-knowing god. I just see him for what he's done to make the world into what it is today.

If anyone here doesn't know much about Tesla, I would highly recommend reading the book, Tesla: Man Out Of Time, by Margaret Cheney. She's an historian who has made it her mission to study the life and works of Nikola Tesla, and to present it in an unbiased manner (both the good and the bad). Scead, I especially recommend this to you so you can actually learn the real facts of what you're arguing about. Tvtech, I think you'll find it very informative and interesting :)

Glad you found some interest in this thread. He really was/is a fascinating character who has lots to teach people. I don't mean to treat him as an all-perfect, all-knowing god. I just see him for what he's done to make the world into what it is today.

If anyone here doesn't know much about Tesla, I would highly recommend reading the book, Tesla: Man Out Of Time, by Margaret Cheney. She's an historian who has made it her mission to study the life and works of Nikola Tesla, and to present it in an unbiased manner (both the good and the bad). Scead, I especially recommend this to you so you can actually learn the real facts of what you're arguing about. Tvtech, I think you'll find it very informative and interesting :)

Hi

Just because I can, I found the PDF book by Margaret Cheney and started reading it. An awesome read so far. So I decided to upload the file here so members can educate themselves if they want about Tesla. The book is around a 9 MB download.

Fascinating stuff.

Regards,
tvtech

Hi TVTech,
First mate Thank You very much for that link to the pdf.... It is a great read.

Now where it has been quoted our local troll has refuted any claim of genius to Tesla I do suggest he read that book and revise his thoughts on some of the statements posted.

The Chapter on the power wars just goes to show Telsa telling Westinhouse his 133hz AC generators won't work on his 60Hz AC system. So Tesla designed todays 60Hz AC system for the US. Now that late 1800's lecture with the carbon button was WHAT the birth of the electron microscope.

I could go on and on but with too much to do today this book will have to wait but I do have to say this book is on of the best reads I've had in a long time.

Cheers Bryan

The Chapter on the power wars just goes to show Telsa telling Westinhouse his 133hz AC generators won't work on his 60Hz AC system. So Tesla designed todays 60Hz AC system for the US.

Thanks for your contribution, bryan. Just wanted to point out that there were no AC generators before Tesla. Before he invented one, it was said to be a perpetual motion device and impossible to build.

In the grand scheme of things electrical, Tesla was a practical engineer and a poor scientist.

Hmm, now isn't that interesting? The end of pg. 18 and the beginning of pg. 19 support my previous claim, but reading on (I haven't read this in a while), I see that alternating current generators WERE, in fact, in existence before Tesla (pg. 23). However, they worked very poorly and were not efficient. I suppose I should correct my claim and say that there were no effective AC generators before Tesla came around and invented his polyphase device.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I have learned a lot here on this thread. That is all that probably matters right now for me and for other interested people out there.

Tesla was way ahead of his time. Period.

And a Genius to boot. I don't worship him...but I certainly admire his never ending experimenting and doing stuff that others only simply copied later...not a businessman though. Thank Heavens for us :eek:

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I believe they're up around the $1.2 million mark! And they still have an entire month left for the fundraiser! :D

I believe they're up around the $1.2 million mark! And they still have an entire month left for the fundraiser! :D

Brilliant stuff on two fronts...

1. The Mods have cleaned up this Thread. I thank you guys (Mods) for doing this :)
2. Tesla's Museum fundraising campaign results can be monitored and reported back here for at least till it ends in a Months time :)

I will be monitoring what happens. Love it.

Thank you all.....and holding thumbs Matt that enough money is raised to do the whole project properly and make the Museum sustainable for generations of interested youngsters to experience.

I am no youngster, but I too would like to experience it when completed.

Best regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Just wanted to point out that there were no AC generators before Tesla

Galileo Ferraris experimented with induction motors at the same time as Tesla (independently) and published a paper describing the devices he made two months before Tesla got his patent. Who really came up with the idea first is not a matter of record but only of what one or the other claims as to be dates when this was going on, there is no way of any kind to 'prove' who came up with the idea first, and the discoveries occurred so close together that at the time they're essentially isolated events. It also doesn't matter because it proves the point that two people can come up with the same answer, and the reason they did this is because they learned from what was becoming available at the time manufacturing wise and were able to experiment.

At that time the world was a very small place so the entire premise that one could have stolen it from the other is absurd and no one would even suggest that, they both came up with it at the same time in different countries.

Please note these were separate unrelated discoveries of the same thing and there are others like this as well through history, it just goes to show that the father of the induction motor is safely a grey area that can not be truly determined, if Tesla had not existed and he wasn't such a personality Ferraris would have gotten that title, and science would have advanced just fine. Please feel free to look more into the matter yourself.

Also while you're at it look up the work of François Arago who discovered the properties of out of phase AC fields 32 years before Tesla, the basic science was already there, it was just awaiting a better time and more seeping in of the knowledge to come to the fruition that was the practical induction motor.

During this period of time there are MANY such cases of doubt about origins of some core discoveries because the world was just coming into the communication age, it was still a very big place (information wise) and physical sciences were advancing at such a rate that previous to the industrial age these things would not have been possible to discover in the first place, there was simply no infrastructure of material science to even create what was used to experiment with in the first place.

Now mind you I like Tesla! He did some of the grandest scale experiments in electricity known to man at the time, he definitely raised a lot of attention. He deserves being noted in science for the things he created and how he influenced the time, which albeit important he was not a major mover or shaker as to the commercialization. Westinghouse gets the credit for commercialization of AC, and Tesla got the cash for licensing the patents!

He also got an SI derived unit for magnetism named after him which is no small prize! But as Nigel stated I believe this most recent trend, at least in specific the Oatmeal comic, is udder propaganda and has no relation to what Tesla truly did. So I'd love to see people respond to why people think that Tesla was somehow slighted by history!

That being said I hope the Tesla museum gets all the funding it can and they provide a detailed and COMPLETE portrait of the main who's name is on the door, as well as increase learning an understanding of all sciences.

Tesla was a many layered human being and despite claims to the contrary that the world would still be living in the 19th century if Tesla hadn't come along is sadly mistaken, the reason for the boon of his age is not only the people that were present at the time, but the state of physical sciences and manufacturing which was exploding at the time.

Even without Tesla, Edison would have failed at his goals of widespread DC power, anyone knowing much about power transmissions knows that DC has limited usability for local distribution with large scales, and LOTS of problems with load and conversion which can't be fixed, though I believe some long range power grids still use it in modern times because of DC's advantages.

Don't forget who discovered the EM induction effect in the first place... Faraday and Henry, in 1831 25 years before Tesla was even born!

No one 'including myself' is discounting anything that Tesla did, the man knew how to build big thinds and blow minds (and I'm sure lots of other things ;) up but he has not been slighted by history and he was not NEARLY as important to the furthering of electrical science as the claims that are currently being made, many of which are in contradiction to known historic fact.

Last edited:
To the Ineffable All,

And don't forget Charles Steinmetz. He was instrumental in making General Electric what it was back then. **broken link removed**

Ratch

Guys, why do you insist on dragging this thread off topic?? This isn't a competition between the world's scientists!! This is about NIKOLA TESLA and his last remaining laboratory in the United States! So ENOUGH ALREADY! If you want to start a thread about your favorite scientists, be my guest! But stop cluttering up this one with your own interests!

Derstrom, my post was in relation to every single incorrect and inflammatory statement irrationaly made in the Oatmeal's comic's text... Which was your first link to an article/blog. Nothing off topic at all.

Specifically this link, which you posted.

Again I laud the ideals that the Tesla Museum may hold, and wish it it's best, but this has nothing to do with Tesla himself or who he was in relation to the claims being made about what he achieved in life.

I have no goals other than to portray Tesla in his proper light, as a human being, a genius, and a person suffering from a degenerative psychological condition. All of these things made Tesla who he was and I am glad for all of them because without any one of them he would not have existed and science would have been just fine with that but would more than likley have been stalled a few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back