Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Its a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Its a shame we are not able to have a civil chat on subjects like ALTERNATIVE energy, without people getting all defensive etc. I dont believe in so called free energy, but I have an interest in alternative systems such as running my micro board on thermal electric or solar.
And if you take the term free energy literally then I can prove it exists, I have read many times of people in the uk growing certain plants. On many occasions these people place a wire (apparently) across there meter to bypass it! so in literal terms yes it definitely does exist.
In other ways it depends on what your talking about, I have run some good projects from thermal electric generators, and have a couple of very small solar panels that run various bits. I also use TEG to keep my aquarium Led's cool by running a 18mA computer fan on a heat sink, this is powered from the heat from the Leds once they start to get too hot.
Again I class this as free energy, but amplifying energy and creating energy from nothing is free lunch. To me free energy is energy you dont pay for, alternative energy is stuff like TEG and solar but I also class as free. Over unity and getting more out than in I class as wishful thinking. On the other side of things I can also understand why some think it exists, I saw a video on you tube a few months ago that made me understand some of the confusion. The experiment involved a home made motor that the guy called a generator, it worked and spun round fast, the way he had the meters set up showed 12 volts going in and 40volts at another point. Now a few years ago I would of thought like him and assumed wow free energy!!! But the motor was not under load and was being driven by starship coils with pwm, what he obviously didnt understand was he was measuring the inductive spike! So it looked like he was getting free 28V from somewhere, of course had he measured the Watts etc then he would have seen what was going on.
Alot of the comments were from people with very limited electrical knowledge, and they all were saying it was proof etc. So in some cases I can see why people get confused, same with a joule thief circuit because unless you know it appears your getting more out than putting in, you see comments under the vids like wow!!! see that battery was 0.7V and its powering a 3.3V Led!!!! so the circuit is making the extra voltage, its only when you delve a little deeper you understand its simply converting one version of energy (current) into another version (Volts), and in fact there is a net loss (a price to be paid if you like).
But what irritates me is those that you know are peddling rubbish and they know they are! There is a 'generator' for sale that costs a fortune, but its Guaranteed to save you fuel with HHO. Now even if it was true (we know its not), paying $4,000 for a 'generator' is hardly free in anyone's book lol.
BUT RC3PO why get so upset and abusive? By all means talk about alternative fuel sources and energy, try out stuff its fun. But keep it civil and bare in mind there is no such thing as a free lunch!
Alternative and slightly wacky ways of powering things is great and I love it, but you cant alter physics. If there was even a small chance it could be done then it would have been, energy companies would pay staggering amounts to generate free energy to sell on.
If you want lets have a civil and respectful discussion on alternative forms, but lets not start thinking there is someway to get more out than you put in.
LG
And my favorite alternative form is steam! or to be precise sterling engines, they are a work of art! Very clever engineering considering no computers to design stuff back then.

Hi LG, rc3po and dexter are going to start a project together to prove free energy. Stay tuned.:rolleyes::p Since I can't pick on dex anymore, tag, your it.

LG you've almost invited argument?

What's wrong with alternative energy? Thermal electric, solar, wind, tidal, hydro, all fine! Why even mention free energy?

LG you've almost invited argument?

What's wrong with alternative energy? Thermal electric, solar, wind, tidal, hydro, all fine! Why even mention free energy?

Thats kind of my point, to me those examples you gave are what I would term free energy, there for the taking if you like. Sometimes when people talk of free energy they really mean what you would call alternative energy. Alternative energy to me really means stuff like bio diesel or that ethanol algae. What other call free energy is often the wacko stuff.
I mentioned it because there was a thread just closed called free energy. It wasnt shut because of that but because some cant have a civil chat about some things, and I was saying its a shame.
I have spoke about my versions of free energy before (alternative). So my point in this thread was setting the record straight on how I see what the terms used mean, and also why I think some people think over unity stuff exist, that being the example of a joule thief and that motor with inductive spikes. I am not inviting argument as I dont believe in the free lunch stuff, but I do think for things like data loggers and outdoor sensors TEG and solar are a better option at time than batteries (purely from a eco view point not a better option for energy reasons).
I was looking forward to talking about this stuff and even discussing why some think "over unity exists", lets be honest if you know zero about electronics and you see 12V going into a motor and see 40V being measured in the circuit, it looks like something for nothing.
First time a few years back I built a joule thief I thought it was magical that you could take less than 1V and light a 3V Led, its one the things that got me hooked on electronics, and even now I still get a real kick from lighting a Led from a dead battery, its one of those special experiments that stick with you! My friends love it when I show them the 'trick'.
But I got peed off that the person who started the thread then went on to get all snotty and the thread was shut (rightly so).
I get peed off with it because things like that makes it impossible to talk about the wacky ideas out there. Ok they dont work but some are really cool engineering type gadgets very nicely made. The rodin starship thing I saw dosnt do what the guy thinks it does, but as a piece of engineering its fabulous! The time that must have been spent building the coils etc is phenomenal and I love the way it looks.
But you cant share it or talk about it because others spoil it for everyone. And thats a shame
R%egards LG

Hi LG, rc3po and dexter are going to start a project together to prove free energy. Stay tuned.:rolleyes::p Since I can't pick on dex anymore, tag, your it.
Yeah as soon as they work out how to use the fluke meter that is lol

And my favorite alternative form is steam! or to be precise sterling engines, they are a work of art! Very clever engineering considering no computers to design stuff back then.
I love those engines.
I think the best we can do is find the most efficient way to get the energy we need.
If that takes a cool looking rodin coil then so be it.

rc3po and dexter are going to start a project together to prove free energy. Stay tuned.:rolleyes::p

I will send flyback to help them out just as long as they don't put in a tank of water and need to shut it off if the water gets too low. That could very well styme him something terrible if it needs that function to work. :p

I think the Rosemary Ainslie case is interesting..
Interesting

It seems the only way a energy amplifier or multiplier whatever you want to call it, will work is if it gets more energy in a different form.

You can combine wind and solar to get more energy than ether one alone.

Dont tell anyone about one of the energy sources and bam you have free energy.

Entropy rules (as does the Second Law of Thermodynamics).

Or, you can't get something from nothing.

I've never understood why this can be such a difficult concept to accept. Just think of the energy wasted trying to prove otherwise...

Entropy rules (as does the Second Law of Thermodynamics).

Or, you can't get something from nothing.

I've never understood why this can be such a difficult concept to accept. Just think of the energy wasted trying to prove otherwise...

Yeah.. It would be more useful to spend all that time making things more energy efficient. Not trying to "generate" free power. Getting something to work "near 100% efficent" is theoretically possible.. getting "101%" efficiency out of a generator is not.

Yeah.. It would be more useful to spend all that time making things more energy efficient. Not trying to "generate" free power. Getting something to work "near 100% efficent" is theoretically possible.. getting "101%" efficiency out of a generator is not.

Hi misterT

I see it that way too. I am no expert but I know you cannot get more "energy" out than you put in :)

Regards,
tvtech

Well, free is starting to really get muddled now that things can operate from nanowatts. We have the new term "Energy harvesting" that recovers energy from the act of say moving a switch or maybe eventually walking to charge your cell phone from something worn in your shoes or carried in your backpack.

What about the flashlight you "shake" to charge to get a little bit of light?

"Energy Harvesting" is probably a much better term. Capturing energy that would otherwise be "thrown away".

Somebody just stole my generator and a can of gas. :mad:
Now give it back. I know where you live! :p

If you take the solid waste from your neighbors you can use it to make free energy.

If you take the solid waste from your neighbors you can use it to make free energy.

Well my neighbors have been giving me sh!t for years and I have yet to ever accomplish anything with it. :p

(Actually they contribute to my scrap metal pile every time they do spring cleaning so yea I do get something gainful from them!):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back