Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it OK to use wirewound resistors in an oscillator circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

im wondering if it is acceptable to use wirewound(thus inductive) resistors in a oscillating circuit? the circuit in question is here:

**broken link removed**

now i was able to salvage the 4.7ohm snubber resistor(also have a 5 ohm 5 watt that is close enough) and the two 15 ohm gate resistors off of some scrap circuit boards. they are all wirewound and have inductance to them. from top to bottom in the pic 40uH, 50uH, and 150uH.i found the 100k 2 watt also with inductance. i may be wrong and would like some verification, but seems to me it would be a bad idea. thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_20130123_135808_930.jpg
    IMG_20130123_135808_930.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 312
If the switching frequency is high enough then inductance could increase the resistance and slow down the gates switching time, you'll also get some overshoot effects.
Better using carbons for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back