Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR sensor, ultrasonic sensor, sonar sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hweontey

How 's difference between these sensors, IR sensor, ultrasonic sensor and sonar sensor???

which sensor i should use, if robot detects obstacle in the afternoon or night ??

how can i get the information??

10s!!

I think that last two are the same kind of devices, they use sound as sort of medium for finding obstacles, IR use infra red light emision to finde obstacle. Use depends of range and other factors. You should give more infos about exactly what you want to do.

Ultrasonic and SONAR are the same thing.

Ultrasonic-
-time of flight distance measurement
-longer range than IR
-affected by wind
-affected by hardness of object

IR-
-angle (parallax) distance measurement
-shorter range than SONAR
-affected by sunlight
-affected by colour of object.

Personally, I prefer sonar jsut because it has a longer range and uses time-of-flight to measure distance which I just prefer over the parallax measurement that IR uses. PLus I know (in theory) how to get more data out of sonar than just the time-of-flight. Parallax measurement also tends to mean that the longer maximum range you have also increases your minimum range. This does't happen with TOF.

IR can be cheaper and smaller though. Plus sensing with light is a bit cooler than sensing with sound. THe only way to do TOF with light (or EM waves) is radar and yeah...you can imagine how much it costs to measure the time of something travelling at the speed of light (there's one that can scan and is $2.3K but only works until 4m and everything else is $10K+ for the most part but these ones can work for miles).

Last edited:
Oic, i was doing the project that call as blind aid, using ultrasonic to measure distance and tell the blind how far is the obstacle left.:p

Ultrasonic is better then IR in this case..

how i connect the PIC 16A84 with the ultrasonic sensor.have any schematics?then how to show how far is the obstacle left on LCD.THX

how i connect the PIC 16A84 with the ultrasonic sensor.have any schematics?then how to show how far is the obstacle left on LCD.THX
I highly recommend Maxbotic sonar sensors. Good accuracy and easy to interface.

They have three interface methods available on every sensor - pulse width, analog voltage and asynchronous serial. Analog is usually the easiest to use.

help

hey,futz.if i wan build my own the obstacle detector,do you have any idea how to build it.actually my project is remote control car.i using PIC16F84A to control the motor and it also can detect the obstalce.when it detect obstacle,it send the signal to LCD and then the LCD will show the how far distance from obstacle.

Attachments

• remote car.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 977
hey,futz.if i wan build my own the obstacle detector,do you have any idea how to build it.actually my project is remote control car.i using PIC16F84A to control the motor and it also can detect the obstacle. When it detects obstacle, it sends the signal to LCD and then the LCD will show the how far distance from obstacle.
How about the sensors used on Solarbotic's Sumovore? They're simple, reliable and good for probably 12 inches sensing range or a bit more. You can get the schematic here. Look on Page 29 for the Full Schematic. You're looking for 38khz IR Object Sensors and 38khz IR emitter. Parts list is somewhere earlier in the doc.

i need do the final year project.actually i not very clear in the circuit.do you have any idea that have schematics and programing code but must have application.thanks for futz always give me idea

hey,futz...do you know how to make self-learning remote control car.For example if i control the car using remote control and let it move to 1 track or 1 around.when i press a switch ,it will follow back the previous track that i control without controlling by user.i using the PIC16F84..i don't know how to store the previous instrcution that i control the track and save it in memory..any idea.thanks..

Ultrasonic and SONAR are the same thing.
Not really as sonar is usually in the audible range where Ultrasonic is not.

In California there are restrictions set in place on the use of active sonar above 183dB as it has caused problems for the marine mammals. The sonar levels have been known to beach whales and dolphins, many of these animals were found bleeding from their orifaces caused by active sonar.

hi,everybody
any body know aboutsonar radar?

Hello Pradeep,

Welcome to the forum!

Please start your own thread to post questions--you will be more likely to receive a response that way, and you won't be causing confusion between your topic and the original topic of the thread you have posted your question in.

In order to start a new thread, go to the appropriate forum, and click on the 'New Thread' button near the top left-hand side of the page.

Torben

Oh, this is an old thread. Guess I should be more attentive.

Hello lowcurtz,
Toben did such a nice job he is worth quoting.
My Project Is Making Rc Car That Used The Ultrasonic Proximity Sensor To Detect Range Of Object In Front. By The Ranging, It Can Slow The Car When Near To The Object And Move Fast Forward When It Far From The Object In Front. For Info I'm Using Pic16f877a.
Please If U Have Any Ideas. Send Me Schematic Diagram And The Source Code

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back