Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR based Speed control of Single Phase AC motor using a Microcontroller 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vedant Gala

Hi all,

My project is to create an infrared remote to change the speed and switch on/off of a cap start/run type single phase induction motor operating at AC mains (230V, 50Hz).

I have worked out the controlling the speed of the motor part (using a solid state relay to control phase angle of the stator voltage) but now I have a different challenge.

Let me explain the scenario.

• User presses a button on the remote (say to increase the speed of motor).
  • The remote transmits via IR some signal (maybe encoded?)
  • There is a receiver at the other end that picks this up,(if required decodes it)
  • This information is fed to a microcontroller via an interrupt
  • the microcontroller according to it's program chooses one of many different delay values to use and fire a Solid state relay (opto-isolator + triac combination) and hence speed is changed

The challenge is in steps 2 and 3.

I researched that I have to use some kind of protocol (ex. RC5), that uses a particular encoding (ex. Manchester) and use that same at the receiver part.

To clarify further, I don't want to send some particular information from transmitter to the receiver.
Any kind of signal that I can then program my microcontroller to act upon when received will fit the purpose.
Also, a single motor is to be used as output device. However there are three different signals that will be input to the microcontroller (as well as provide a single interrupt whenever any signal is incident). These are for three following operations that will be performed on the motor:

• Switch motor ON/OFF
  • increase speed of motor
  • decrease speed of motor
Can I not use my own encoding and timer to get desired 38kHz frequency? Because like really I don't need features like security or ... say 10 buttons... I need just 3-4 buttons.

But yes at the same time I do want it to function like a normal remote control.

I need more clarity on this.

I saw various options online:

1. Using HT12A and HT12D encoder decoder ICs
  2. Using 555 timer
  3. Using another microcontroller
  4. Using unused/already existing remotes
Also can I use 3 different IR transmitters transmitting at different frequencies, and 3 different TSOP receivers connected to three different ports of the microcontroller?

Sorry for a somewhat vague question... I'm a newbie in embedded systems and electronics as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Vedant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back