Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Iontophoresis home-made machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
bryan,

Curious...How did you determine that 180A passed through your body? That's a a path resistance of only 0.16Ω.

Ken

I was welding rio bar in a tunnel on a minesite where it was close to 100% humidity, as my body was soaked in sweat and my right hand was touching the metal the arc jumped over travelled up my arm then back down again.

I tried the ionophoresis machine for about 10 min with two 9V batteries (16.78V on the multimeter). When I took my hands out, they were spastic and I had to slowly open my hands to get them to back to their normal position. I noticed on my left palm (next to my thumb) it was a bit swollen, I think this may be my vein (I dont get why this didnt happen to my right hand.). My right hand is perfectly fine and my hands were considerably dryer than before.

I tried the ionophoresis machine for about 10 min with two 9V batteries (16.78V on the multimeter). When I took my hands out, they were spastic and I had to slowly open my hands to get them to back to their normal position. I noticed on my left palm (next to my thumb) it was a bit swollen, I think this may be my vein (I dont get why this didnt happen to my right hand.). My right hand is perfectly fine and my hands were considerably dryer than before.

Did you feel any shocks while using it?.

Well I felt quite a shock when I first placed my hands in the water, but after that didnt really feel another shock, but could feel the current flowing through my hands.

Did you reverse the polarity during the process? Since iontophoresis is used for the active transport of chemicals through the skin, you may have been giving yourself a dose of whatever was in the water. Polarity of the chemicals and electrodes determines what gets moved where. Iontophoresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

Last edited:
Did you reverse the polarity during the process? Since iontophoresis is used for the active transport chemicals through the skin, you may have been giving yourself a dose of whatever was in the water. Polarity of the chemicals and electrodes determines what gets moved where. Iontophoresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

I only used tap water. No I never reversed the polarity, as when I withdrew my hands, part of my left palm was swollen and I was a bit concerned. Why did this happen?

Maybe you caused impurities in the water to migrate to the dermis of your left hand and interstitial fluid moved into the dermis due to osmotic pressure. Just a guess.

**broken link removed**

Here...hold my beer and watch this! :eek:

The next time reverse the polarity and tell us if the other hand swells. ;)

This is getting scary.

Ken

Here...hold my beer and watch this! :eek:

The next time reverse the polarity and tell us if the other hand swells. ;)

This is getting scary.

Ken

When I press the swollen part on my left palm I feel a bit of pain all over my hand, so having this on both hands wouldnt be good. I am waiting for my left hand to heal before I try iontophoresis again (its been a week).

Maybe you caused impurities in the water to migrate to the dermis of your left hand and interstitial fluid moved into the dermis due to osmotic pressure. Just a guess.

**broken link removed**

I only used tap water in stainless steel pans, so I doubt there were any impurities in the water.

I only used tap water in stainless steel pans, so I doubt there were any impurities in the water.

"Tap water" has all kinds of "impurity" ions in it. I think you need to see a dermatologist and tell them exactly what you have done.

I am ending my involvement in this thread.

Ken

"Tap water" has all kinds of "impurity" ions in it. I think you need to see a dermatologist and tell them exactly what you have done.

I am ending my involvement in this thread.

Ken

I agree with Ken.

kv

How would that function? Without a salt or other ionic transfer molecule pure distilled de-ionized water actually makes a good insulator, also considering that putting your hands in the water would basically act as a wash adding every bit of soluble material from your hands to the water. What you think of as 'clean' or 'pure' is FAR from reality. Simply brushing your hand against a surface to register touch will transfer hundreds if not thousands or more molecules.

In a large volume this might not seem like much until you realize just how small the impurity concentration has to be to cause conduction.

Last edited:
Well the whole point of using iontophoresis is that you need to use tap water (even the commercial machines use it). It is the minerals in the tap water which forms a layer on your skin to prevent sweating.

Well the whole point of using iontophoresis is that you need to use tap water (even the commercial machines use it). It is the minerals in the tap water which forms a layer on your skin to prevent sweating.

FYI
According to the FDA.
Iontophoresis devices are prescription devices that use direct electric current to introduce ions of soluble salts (i.e., medications) into body tissues for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes. The only approved use is for diagnosing cystic fibrosis.
Iontophoresis may be considered medically necessary to administer local anesthesia prior to a venipuncture or dematologic procedure. Iontophoresis as a transdermal drug delivery technique for other medical indications is considered investigational.

**broken link removed**

And to these so called commercial devices. I have seen claims on sites stating "FDA Registered" This means nothing and is a misleading tactic.

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]the same companies that hide from the FDA with a disclaimer want you to trust them because they are "registered" with the FDA. Any MLM that brags about their inclusion in the PDR and/or claims that they are registered or inspected by the FDA, should not be trusted.[/FONT]

Well if the above cited info does not help you decide how to proceed with this procedure, your swollen hand should. Your call, I am done...

tsAme, the minerals in tap water vary DRAMATICALLY from location to location, your statement's don't make sense, using 'tap water' from a well in one location compared to another could cause cancer or other system deficiencies because the electrolytic process is forcing them to be introduced, it could even lead to heavy metal poisoning; the same holds true for municipal water as it can come from a wide variety of sources.
While obviously the FDA is behind this kind of stuff because it's a new method for controlled introduction of a substance into the human body over time that's safer than pills or injects in some situations doesn't mean you that you know enough about the process to say that using the same methods is safe because of your lack of understanding of the details and reasons behind everything that goes on in the process.

The ONLY person qualified to determine what you should be treating yourself with is a qualified medical professional, if you can't afford one you're playing with your own health and there's a good chance you can screw it up worse simply because you're just repeating some random information heard from a source without true understanding of the processes involved.

Well I totally agree with you guys and appreciate all your help. By the way the swelling has gone down a lot, and I will consult a doctor about the commercial machine. Thanks.

I'm Recently learning **broken link removed**, this problem is also make me feel sick. I think got to consult doctor also, if you cured please inform me.

Hi,
Thanks for these infos and guide..
I wanted to know if you had any instructions to use this kind of installation for armpits.
I was thinking with a kind of sponge , but I tried and it didn't work.
Maybe it depends which kind of sponge? How to plug it? Should I link the sponge directly with alligator clip or should I put something in iron into a sponge? Maybe some salt can help?
Please help me if you can :)

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back