Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interlocking switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian116

Dear all~
I have met a problem and that make me almost crazy.....:(
My problem is that:

This is a box for hotel rooming use which include 2 toggle switches (ON-NONE-ON) ,
switch 1 : don't disturb;
switch 2 : clean;

Functions:

(1) switch 1,2 are interlocking; both of them will have a LED for indication.
LEDs will on when toggle switches are "ON".
(2) when one of the switches is pushed to either "ON"/"OFF" , it will produced a short voltage pulse to activate a relay for a second. To hold the relay is not necessary.

The main problem is that can those functions be done by relays, toggle switches and capacitors only? Since power consumption is a main problem,
this box can only used battery(with 2200mAh). No transformer can be connected to the box.

Actually, this box is only used to control a remote control.......

THX a lot~

Dear all~
My problem is that:

This is a box for hotel rooming use which include 2 toggle switches (ON-NONE-ON) ,

Functions:

(2) when one of the switches is pushed to either "ON"/"OFF" , it will produced a short voltage pulse to activate a relay for a second. To hold the relay is not necessary.

The main problem is that can those functions be done by relays, toggle switches and capacitors only? Since power consumption is a main problem,
this box can only used battery(with 2200mAh). No transformer can be connected to the box.

THX a lot~

Depends on what kind of pulse you need and how long it must be held. And I'm almost positive you'd also need some resistors.

If you want, a nice low-power solution using a CMOS 555 timer chip (common as dirt and just about as cheap) will produce a pulse and you can easily control the length of the pulse.

Can you provide details about the relays or any more details at all about the circuit?

Torben

Dear all~
My problem is that:

Functions:

THX a lot~

The one shot 555 circuit is great, but how much rooms do your hotel have? buying (i.e. 25) IC's, plus resistors, transistor and relay, system maninteance, etc. may consume too much space and time.

Why don't you use spring loaded switches?

Last edited:
The one shot 555 circuit is great, but how much rooms do your hotel have? buying (i.e. 25) IC's, plus resistors, transistor and relay, system maninteance, etc. may consume too much space and time.

Why don't you use spring loaded switches?

555 circuit is great but a low power consumption is much more important...

for my case, i can only provide a battery for my circuit........

It is hard to connect a power supply.

The main problem is the 555 circuit consume too much power and the led

can only light up a few days continuously in my testing...(but i need 1 month)

So, i am thinking how to used switches and relays to make the same functions...

Depends on what kind of pulse you need and how long it must be held. And I'm almost positive you'd also need some resistors.

If you want, a nice low-power solution using a CMOS 555 timer chip (common as dirt and just about as cheap) will produce a pulse and you can easily control the length of the pulse.

Can you provide details about the relays or any more details at all about the circuit?

Torben

The pulse should be enough to activate the relay for a second is ok.
what is your low-power solution? can you should me the circuit?
the one i used before is the attachment

The relay i used is TAKAMISAWA RY12W-K

Attachments

• 0691716375164620.gif
    0691716375164620.gif
    7 KB · Views: 786
The pulse should be enough to activate the relay for a second is ok.
what is your low-power solution? can you should me the circuit?
the one i used before is the attachment

The relay i used is TAKAMISAWA RY12W-K

What kind of batteries are you using, and how many? That relay wants 8.5V on its coil in order to trip.

Also, what (exactly, as in model number) is the 555 chip you are using? There are regular 555s, which consume more power, and CMOS 555s, which do the same thing but the timing can be adjusted further and they use less power.

Also, what kind of LEDs are you using?

How many hours per day must the device have LEDs lit on it, and how many?

Torben

Maybe a global vision of your problem can solve it: What happens when the relay is activated by 1 second? What's the circuit purpose?

OK, may be my idea is not so good.
Let me told you what i am going to do.

First, i have a remote control with a reciever(just like the car security purpose)

Now, i want to make a box/panel to control the remote control. the panel include 2 toggle switches and leds respect to "don't disturb" and "clean" respectively. Those switches are interlock. for example: when don't disbturb is on, the led for clean will not light even you turn the toggle switch.
Each time you turn the toggle switch will do a action just like you push the button on the remote control once. This is the main purpose. May be it is a little bit stupid....

Actually i can't make this function already with the spring loaded swithes, but the customer want to used toggle switch and the battery can only last for few days......The truth is that they want a month......

What kind of batteries are you using, and how many? That relay wants 8.5V on its coil in order to trip.

Also, what (exactly, as in model number) is the 555 chip you are using? There are regular 555s, which consume more power, and CMOS 555s, which do the same thing but the timing can be adjusted further and they use less power.

Also, what kind of LEDs are you using?

How many hours per day must the device have LEDs lit on it, and how many?

Torben

The battery i used is rechargeable 11.1v 1000mAh. The relay should not hold for long time since high power consumption.

the 555 i used is 555D JRC 3092A

the LEDs i used are somehow like the attachment. I think it should consume less than 10mA.

2 LEDs on the panel and lit on about half a day.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 203
The battery i used is rechargeable 11.1v 1000mAh. The relay should not hold for long time since high power consumption.

Are there other sizes and types available to you? You haven't filled in the location field in your User CP so I don't know how to guess what you might be able to get.

the 555 i used is 555D JRC 3092A

OK, a quick bit of googling didn't turn anything up on those chip markings. Do you know who made it or do you have a datasheet for it?

the LEDs i used are somehow like the attachment. I think it should consume less than 10mA.

OK. How are you driving them at the moment?

Torben

You might be able to get away with something like so, Switch goes on, relay momentarily activates until cap charges up and relay goes off. Play with RC values to get right amount of relay closure. Bigger resistor is better as less current draw. That is about as simple as I can think of.

Attachments

• momrelay.gif
    momrelay.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 207
Are there other sizes and types available to you? You haven't filled in the location field in your User CP so I don't know how to guess what you might be able to get.

OK, a quick bit of googling didn't turn anything up on those chip markings. Do you know who made it or do you have a datasheet for it?

OK. How are you driving them at the moment?

Torben

The battery can be changed to 11.1v 2200mAh,

Sorry,what do you mean myCP?

I bought the chips from some store.......sorry , i don't have the datasheet also......

For the LED, i just connect 12v voltage source to the toggle switches with a resistor 680 ohms to it......may be larger resistance is better.

You might be able to get away with something like so, Switch goes on, relay momentarily activates until cap charges up and relay goes off. Play with RC values to get right amount of relay closure. Bigger resistor is better as less current draw. That is about as simple as I can think of.

Thank you for your circuit.

Yes, you circuit can solve the relay problem, but the toggle switch will not spring back.......so when you turn on , the relay will hold until you turn the toggle switch to off....but i need to activate the relay when it turn to off and on, do you get what i mean? Each time you turn the toggle switch, the relay will hold a second and return to the normal state.

As soon as you toggle your switch, the relay will activate until cap is charged and then decactivate. Circuit will not toggle again until switch is turned off and then back on.

As soon as you toggle your switch, the relay will activate until cap is charged and then decactivate. Circuit will not toggle again until switch is turned off and then back on.

that's the problem, i want the relay activate again when you turn the switch to off just like when you turn on the switch

I think I see what your saying, so you want to know when the switch gets returned to the middle position such as when a cleaning person or the customer turns it off. Is that it?

I think I see what your saying, so you want to know when the switch gets returned to the middle position such as when a cleaning person or the customer turns it off. Is that it?

yes, since each time you turn the switch will toggle the reciever to on/off status of "clean" and "don't disturb" through the remote control. so each time you take action in the remote control panel will affect the status of the reciever and so i need the relay to be activate each time you turn the switch.

Well you could duplicate the circuit I drew 3 times. 1 for Clean room, 1 for Do not wake my sleepy self, and lastly 1 for switch cleared, but that sounds messy I think. I am tired, and think I am going to sleep in a bit, but I can look into tomorrow when I am more awake.

Oh, and Torben, I did not mean to jump in on your convo, Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Don't stop your suggestions based on my interruption :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back